Arts & Entertainment
Co-host John Corvino, left, with mayoral candiate Mike Duggan, co-host Mike Einheuser and Mike Higgins who opened his penthouse condo for the fundraiser. Photo by Jan Stevenson.
LGBTs Raise Dollars For Duggan
By Jan Stevenson
Originally printed 10/24/2013 (Issue 2143 - Between The Lines News)
DETROIT - Over 100 LGBT people and allies attended a high ticket fundraiser to support Mike Duggan's mayoral campaign Oct. 16. The event was at the spectacular penthouse apartment of the Broderick Tower, with an amazing view of Comerica Park as the fourth game of the ALCS series kicked off. Hot dogs and Cracker Jack were served, in keeping with the baseball theme.
"Mike Duggan is going to be a great Mayor. Let's all look forward to being part of an inclusive and progressive turnaround of our beloved city," said attorney Mike Einheuser, one of the co-hosts along with Wayne State Univ. Prof. John Corvino.
"My administration will reach out to everybody. It doesn't matter if you are black, brown, Christian, Muslim, straight or gay. I want the City of Detroit to be welcoming to anybody who wants to come live and work here," said Duggan. He was there with his wife, Lori, and two of their three children, as well as Patty and Lois, Duggan's lesbian couple in-laws.
"Duggan clearly has the turnaround experience and the intellectual and political chops one needs to be an effective mayor for the city," said Corvino. "He also has an inclusive vision, one that will move us beyond black/white, city/suburb, gay/straight and other divisions that have held us back for a long time."
- State Of Affairs: Crisis In Prevention For Gay Community
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Options
- Detroit Art Scene Shines Every 3rd Thursday
- Affirmations Helpline Revamped
- State Rep. Candidate Jeremy Moss
- DTMC Christmas Concert Dec. 14
- Gala Kicks Off The Season
- Ruth Ellis Bio-pic To Be Screened At Center
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index
- Michigan 31: Trenton Passes Human Rights Ordinance
- Transgender Day Of Remembrance Lists 242 Killed
- How To Survive A Plague Comes To PBS
- Hope And Understanding For 'Unstably Housed' Youth
- Executive Director For Affirmations Dave Garcia Announces Departure
- Transgender Woman Murdered in Detroit
- Justice For Shelly: Civil Rights Complaint Filed Against Police In Gruesome Murder
- KICK Health Expo Discussions Go Beyond The Basics
- Transgender Workers Are At A High Risk Of Unemployment And Poverty