Arts & Entertainment
A Trip Around The World At Affirmations Vineyard
Originally printed 10/10/2013 (Issue 2141 - Between The Lines News)
FERNDALE - Affirmations Community Center will host its fall fundraising event Oct. 19. Affirmations' supporters and wine lovers will enter transformed and redesigned spaces while being entertained by accordionist, Samuel Wakefield Banks, pianist and vocalist, Tracy Kash Thomas and Affirmations' own, One Voice Chorus.
"Bringing together communities to raise money for the programs and services at Affirmations is what we do," said Executive Director Dave Garcia. "With the needs of the LGBT community constantly increasing, it's important that we do everything we can to be sure we meet those needs. All proceeds from this event will directly support Affirmations' programs and services, including our newly expanded mental health services and alternative high school program.
The Cork International Cellar and Winezilla Lounge are just two of the many rooms filled with themed wines and pairings. Attendees will pick up a passport guide to get stamps from each of the featured wine destinations. Those who complete their passports with all required stamps will be entered to win dinner and a two-night stay at MGM Grand Detroit.
"From Detroit to Birmingham, Rochester Hills to Ann Arbor, the support from local business has been tremendous", said Jose Zamudio, event co-chair. "The food, wine, silent auction and prizes will definitely be worth the ticket."
Tickets are $35 and one bottle of wine. Tickets can be purchased online or at the center, from any staff, board or committee member or by stopping by the front desk. Additionally, Affirmations has partnered with Winezilla in Ferndale. Winezilla is offering Affirmations 15 percent off the purchase price if you buy wine for this event in their shop. Most wines are priced around $10 or under. Winezilla is located at 155 W. Nine Mile Rd in Ferndale. For more information call 248-398-7105.
- State Politicos Slam Agema's Latest Anti-Gay Screed
- FACT CHECK: Agema Claimed American Airlines Forced By San Francisco To Provide Benefits To Gay Couples
- Tracking What You Don't Talk About: Intimate Partner Violence In The LGBT Community
- When Violence Happens, Call Equality Michigan
- Rudy Serra, State Representative Candidate
- National GOP Committeeman Dave Agema Speaks Against Homosexuality, Again
- State Of Affairs: Crisis In Prevention For Gay Community
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Options
- Detroit Art Scene Shines Every 3rd Thursday
- Affirmations Helpline Revamped
- State Rep. Candidate Jeremy Moss
- DTMC Christmas Concert Dec. 14
- Gala Kicks Off The Season
- Ruth Ellis Bio-pic To Be Screened At Center
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index