Arts & Entertainment
Conference To Explore Spirituality And Being Transgender
Originally printed 9/26/2013 (Issue 2139 - Between The Lines News)
Crossing Over: The Spirituality of Transformation, is a one day conference taking place Oct. 5 from 2 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. at Eastern Michigan University's Student Center, 900 Oakwood St. in Ypsilanti. "The conference will explore the spirituality that enables people who are transgender to claim the blessing of who they are," according to the press release.
The keynote speaker for the event, Rev. Dr. Julie Nemecek, is one of Michigan's leading voices on transgender issues. She is the former associate professor at Lansing Community College and Spring Arbor University. She was also a Baptist minister for twenty years and her senior pastor work included working in an inner-city and a suburban church in Chicago and a church in Grand Rapids. She is a regular guest lecturer on university and college campuses throughout the state and a frequent guest speaker at churches. She will be speaking at 2 p.m.
A 3:30 p.m. panel will include Dr. Julie along with author JJ Marie Gufreda, Noah Meeks, who is currently spending a year with the Episcopal
Service Corps, Joanne Nemecek who describes herself as "a Christian who has a transgender spouse" and Jonah Thompson is the Studio Manager and Riot Youth Advisor for the Neutral Zone in Ann Arbor.
To register go to http://www.oasisministrymi.org. For further information please call 734-846-3578.
- State Of Affairs: Crisis In Prevention For Gay Community
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Options
- Detroit Art Scene Shines Every 3rd Thursday
- Affirmations Helpline Revamped
- State Rep. Candidate Jeremy Moss
- DTMC Christmas Concert Dec. 14
- Gala Kicks Off The Season
- Ruth Ellis Bio-pic To Be Screened At Center
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index
- Michigan 31: Trenton Passes Human Rights Ordinance
- Transgender Day Of Remembrance Lists 242 Killed
- How To Survive A Plague Comes To PBS
- Hope And Understanding For 'Unstably Housed' Youth
- Executive Director For Affirmations Dave Garcia Announces Departure
- Transgender Woman Murdered in Detroit
- Justice For Shelly: Civil Rights Complaint Filed Against Police In Gruesome Murder
- KICK Health Expo Discussions Go Beyond The Basics
- Transgender Workers Are At A High Risk Of Unemployment And Poverty