Arts & Entertainment
MY Voice Youth Advisory Council Looking For Applicants
Originally printed 9/19/2013 (Issue 2138 - Between The Lines News)
The Michigan Youth Voice (MY Voice) for Sexual Health youth advisory committee is accepting applications for the 2013-2014 school year. MY Voice, coordinated by the Michigan Organization on Adolescent Sexual Health (MOASH), is seeking a diverse group of youth ages 16-21 years old from across the state interested in sexual health, teen pregnancy and STI/HIV prevention, leadership development, and making positive change.
The youth on this council receive professional development training and review materials and programs for state agencies and non-governmental organizations. Teen pregnancy and STI/HIV prevention programs are vital in improving the health of Michigan's youth, and it is essential for programs and materials targeting youth to be vetted by this population to ensure appropriateness, cultural competence, and accessibility.
MY Voice youth are trained to be youth leaders in the area of sexual health. The perspectives of this key stakeholder group are utilized to inform the work of state-level policy makers and program developers on issues related to adolescent sexual health.
"In Michigan and across the nation for that matter, I believe it is important to generate peer-to-peer dialogue regarding adolescent sexual health. We [young people] don't need to hear what is "right and wrong" from the adults, we need to talk to one another about the choices we make, and how we can help each other make more positive choices. I think MY Voice is a great channel to facilitate the beginnings of this dialogue," said a 19 year-old MY Voice member.
Youth accepted to the 2013-2014 MY Voice advisory council will continue to develop many ongoing projects, as well as begin their own innovative initiatives. Council members are expected to attend monthly meetings, held on Saturdays, and receive a stipend for participation. Interested youth should visit the MY Voice webpage http://www.moash.org/my-voice/ and go to the MY Voice online application https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T8PNH2N. Visit http://www.moash.org to find out more.
- State Politicos Slam Agema's Latest Anti-Gay Screed
- FACT CHECK: Agema Claimed American Airlines Forced By San Francisco To Provide Benefits To Gay Couples
- Tracking What You Don't Talk About: Intimate Partner Violence In The LGBT Community
- When Violence Happens, Call Equality Michigan
- Rudy Serra, State Representative Candidate
- National GOP Committeeman Dave Agema Speaks Against Homosexuality, Again
- State Of Affairs: Crisis In Prevention For Gay Community
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Options
- Detroit Art Scene Shines Every 3rd Thursday
- Affirmations Helpline Revamped
- State Rep. Candidate Jeremy Moss
- DTMC Christmas Concert Dec. 14
- Gala Kicks Off The Season
- Ruth Ellis Bio-pic To Be Screened At Center
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index