Waffle Fries With A Side Of Hate: Chick-Fil-A Eyes West Michigan
By Crystal A. Proxmire
Originally printed 6/27/2013 (Issue 2126 - Between The Lines News)
GRAND RAPIDS - The notoriously hateful Chick-fil-A chain of fast food restaurants is looking to move into West Michigan as early as 2015 according to published reports by the Grand Rapids Press. The move has some people salivating at the thought of southern fatty fast foods, but others are foaming at the mouth.
"I know they have some damn good waffle fries, but nobody wants waffle fries with a side of hate," said Brad Gorman who organized a petition on http://www.change.org called "Chick-fil-A No Way, Stay the Cluck Away from West Michigan."
The petition explains Gorman's position:
"Residents of West Michigan value diversity and care about the inclusion of our gay and lesbian residents. We welcome businesses to our communities that have a good reputation and solid values.
"But anti-gay businesses like Chick-fil-A have NO PLACE in West Michigan - no matter how delicious their waffle fries may be. Chick-fil-A has donated millions of dollars to organizations that undermine equality for gays and lesbians right here in our community. This type of discrimination has no place in our towns.
"The cities of Boston and Chicago, as well as college towns across the U.S. have asked Chick-fil-A to STAY AWAY and West Michigan needs to do the same.
"Tell the economic development organizations and elected officials: If you value diversity West Michigan, stand up for equality and sign this petition to say NO WAY to Chick-fil-A." The petition also includes a sample note to the Chamber of Commerce and to Grand Rapids Mayor George Hartwell. Hartwell was on vacation and unavailable for comment at time of printing.
City Attorney Catherine Mish responded to inquiries, stating, "To the best of my knowledge, the City has not been contacted by Chik-Fil-A regarding the possibility that the company might wish to open a location within the City of Grand Rapids. Although we have read about this possibility in the media, we have no official indication from Chik-Fil-A that this is actually in the company's plans. Likewise, the city has not received any official complaints regarding the possibility of Chik-Fil-A opening a location within the City.
"The City of Grand Rapids is a business-friendly community and welcomes new businesses that strengthen the local tax base, through the payment of real and personal property taxes and through providing jobs to local residents who in turn pay local income taxes. That being said, the City of Grand Rapids is also strongly committed to the values of equal treatment under the law for all persons, regardless of sexual orientation. The city will of course ensure that local ordinance provisions are enforced."
Chick-fil-A made headlines last year after the company President Dan Cathy spoke against gay marriage based on "Biblical principles," sparking a boycott of the chain. In April a senior manager for the company, Mark Conklin, spoke at Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids, telling students "Biblical principles just make great business principles," according to MLive. The chain is known for closing on Sundays so that employees can attend church.
Gorman, 32, started the petition, "because people in West Michigan value diversity and care about the inclusion of our gay and lesbian residents," he said. He complains of the positive news coverage the move is generating. "Grand Rapids news outlets have missed the mark on this. They are celebrating a new business that works to fund discrimination against residents of our communities. This shows that our region - and our media outlets - have a long way to go."
Gorman has been active in the fight for LGBT equality by creating G2H2 gay socials in West Michigan, supporting the OutCenter in Benton Harbor, serving as Whirlpool PRIDE Lead, and helping with the first PRIDE float in the Blossomtime Parade.
At press time, the petition had 286 signatures. Find the petition online at http://www.change.org/petitions/chick-fil-a-no-way-stay-the-cluck-away-from-west-michigan#.
- Same-Sex Marriage Goes To The Supreme Court
- U.S. Syphilis Rates Increased By 10 Percent In 2013
- Controversy Over UMS Award To Russian Orchestra
- Equality Michigan Accepting Applications For Internships
- Ferndale Pride Seeks Sponsors And Vendors
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
- Filmmaker To Speak On LGBT, Black Intersectionality
- Warren To Speak At Upcoming ELCRA Panel
- Become A Vendor At LGBT Wedding Expo
- SCOTUS To Hear Same-Sex Marriage Cases In Historic Decision
- Marriage Of 300 Same-Sex Couples Ruled Valid In Michigan
- Fostering Children Only Temporary Bandage To Same-Sex Adoption Restrictions In Michigan
- Lesbian Fights For Custody Rights Of Children
- From Selma To Detroit And The Importance Of Intersectionality
- Local Jewish Author Highlights Dangers Of Police Discrimination
- Animal Shelter
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- D’Amato’s Neighborhood Restaurant
- Families and Parents
- Lesbian Mom's Network
- Moving Companies
- Two Men And A Truck
- Pet Day Care
- Happy Hounds Dog Day Care & Lodging
- Photo Booth
- Rock the Booth
- Religious & Spiritual
- First Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Ann Arbor
- Social/Community Organizations
- Windsor Pride Community
- Rides of Pride
- Youth Services
- Neutral Zone
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Missing Person Found In Metro Detroit
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police' & Cher's Health
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her (Lack Of) Girl Crushes
- Q&A: Harvey Fierstein Opens Up On The Success Of 'Kinky Boots,' His 'Legendary Disaster' & 'Insulting' Double Standards
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!