Gathering Aims To Promote Inclusion In Educational, Other Settings
Originally printed 2/28/2013 (Issue 2109 - Between The Lines News)
With a goal to create more supportive and inclusive educational environments for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex people, the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) Initiative of Oakland University's School of Education and Human Services will host the second annual Michigan SOGI Education Conference on March 9.
The event will feature expert presentations, roundtable discussions, informative workshops, dynamic work sessions and networking opportunities - all focused on meeting the needs of GLBTQQI students, staff, faculty and administrators.
Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh will make opening remarks, along with SOGI Initiative Director Timothy Larrabee and event emcee, Affirmations LGBT Community Center Executive Director David Garcia.
Delivering the event's keynote address will be Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker Debra Chasnoff - a nationally recognized social justice advocate and pioneering leader in an international movement to create safe and welcoming schools and communities.
Chasnoff's highly acclaimed documentaries addressing youth and bias issues are hailed by educators and advocates as among the best tools available today to help open dialogue and encourage advocacy around many of the most challenging issues affecting young people's lives and school environments.
Garcia, a single gay father, has a degree in communications with a media focus from the University of Michigan-Flint. He began his public fight for LGBT issues after being fired as a result of attempts to start a Gay Straight Alliance in the public schools.
Garcia has continued his efforts to improve lives and advance the cause of justice for all in the LGBT community, including his service on the Board of Directors for the Jim Toy Center in Ann Arbor and his current role on the National Centerlink Board.
The 2013 Michigan SOGI Education Conference will take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 9 in the Oakland Center on the campus of Oakland University. For interactive and printable maps of the campus, visit http://oakland.edu/map.
Registration for the event, which includes a breakfast and lunch, is $100 for the general public and $25 for students. Organizations wishing to host and information table can do so for $25.
Online registration is available at http://oakland.edu/SOGI/register. On-site registration is payable by credit card or electronic check (ACH). Those seeking additional information about the event should visit the conference website at http://oakland.edu/SOGI or call the SOGI Initiative office at 248-370-4160.
- Honoring The Death Of Trans Sisters And Brothers
- Trans In Michigan? The ACLU Wants To Hear From You
- Schuette Wants State's 300 Same-Sex Marriages Voided
- Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Expansion Precarious
- Renowned Gay Writers To Visit Ann Arbor
- New MI Group Aims To Pass Fully Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Facebook Community Reacts To 6th Circuit Ruling
- Pay It Forward This Holiday Season
- Federal Court Rules 2011 Law Prohibiting Domestic Partner Benefits Unconstitutional
- States In 6th Circuit Request SCOTUS Review
- AT&T National 'Will Only Support Fully Inclusive Bill' On Civil Rights
- Michigan GOP Pushes Non-Inclusive Elliott-Larsen Amendment
- Upcoming Community Michigan LGBT Marriage Conversations
- Statewide Campaign For Gender Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- The Long Shot Move To Pass Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Jeremy Moss To Be Next State House Representative
- People Of Faith Invited To Community Conversation
- Obituary: Ernest B. Gutierrez 'Tito'
- Michigan's Marriage Ban Draws Strong Reaction
- Jon Hoadley: Next State House Rep. District 60
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- CARES (Community AIDS Resource and Education Services)
- Dessert Diva
- Counseling Education
- Michigan School of Professional Psychology
- Insurance Exchange
- Political Organizations
- LAHR-PAC (Lansing Association for Human Rights Political Action Committee)
- Real Estate/Agent
- Hall & Hunter Real Estate
- Religious & Spiritual
- Whosoever Ministry
- Social/Community Organizations
- Black & White Men Together Detroit
- Weight Loss
- Alpha LifeStyle Center of Birmingham
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!