Gathering Aims To Promote Inclusion In Educational, Other Settings
Originally printed 2/28/2013 (Issue 2109 - Between The Lines News)
With a goal to create more supportive and inclusive educational environments for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex people, the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) Initiative of Oakland University's School of Education and Human Services will host the second annual Michigan SOGI Education Conference on March 9.
The event will feature expert presentations, roundtable discussions, informative workshops, dynamic work sessions and networking opportunities - all focused on meeting the needs of GLBTQQI students, staff, faculty and administrators.
Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh will make opening remarks, along with SOGI Initiative Director Timothy Larrabee and event emcee, Affirmations LGBT Community Center Executive Director David Garcia.
Delivering the event's keynote address will be Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker Debra Chasnoff - a nationally recognized social justice advocate and pioneering leader in an international movement to create safe and welcoming schools and communities.
Chasnoff's highly acclaimed documentaries addressing youth and bias issues are hailed by educators and advocates as among the best tools available today to help open dialogue and encourage advocacy around many of the most challenging issues affecting young people's lives and school environments.
Garcia, a single gay father, has a degree in communications with a media focus from the University of Michigan-Flint. He began his public fight for LGBT issues after being fired as a result of attempts to start a Gay Straight Alliance in the public schools.
Garcia has continued his efforts to improve lives and advance the cause of justice for all in the LGBT community, including his service on the Board of Directors for the Jim Toy Center in Ann Arbor and his current role on the National Centerlink Board.
The 2013 Michigan SOGI Education Conference will take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 9 in the Oakland Center on the campus of Oakland University. For interactive and printable maps of the campus, visit http://oakland.edu/map.
Registration for the event, which includes a breakfast and lunch, is $100 for the general public and $25 for students. Organizations wishing to host and information table can do so for $25.
Online registration is available at http://oakland.edu/SOGI/register. On-site registration is payable by credit card or electronic check (ACH). Those seeking additional information about the event should visit the conference website at http://oakland.edu/SOGI or call the SOGI Initiative office at 248-370-4160.
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- Thrive Therapy Group, PC
- Bobby Branch State Farm
- Grinstein Jewelry
- Legal Organizations
- Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund, Midwest Regional Office
- Charles H. Wright Museum of African-American History
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Plastic Surgery
- Colton Center for Men
- Religious & Spiritual
- St. Aidan's Episcopal Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- Billionaire Boys Club
- Arbor Pointe Veterinary Hospital
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!