Look Out, Boys! Mae West Is Back In Town!
Retirement reception for Barbara Murray includes performance of 'Dirty Blonde'
Originally printed 2/28/2013 (Issue 2109 - Between The Lines News)
Mae West is back, and Detroit has her! In conjunction with the retirement reception for Barbara Murray from AIDS Partnership Michigan, "Dirty Blonde" will be presented as a very special one-time event on March 4 at The Century Theatre located inside The Historic Gem Theatre in Downtown Detroit.
A bawdy, funny drama, "Dirty Blonde" is no evening of mere impersonation. With vaudeville and her rise to Hollywood stardom as a backdrop, Mae West becomes a symbol for two adoring fans to discover their nature, their identities, and ultimately themselves. The evening's entertainment serves as reminder to celebrate ourselves and the impact we have on those around us.
"Dirty Blonde" will feature actors Mark David Kaplan (Zazu) and Ben Lipitz (Pumbaa) from Disney's "The Lion King," and Colleen Flynn from the Prison City Players in Jackson will star as Jo and Mae West.
All proceeds will benefit AIDS Partnership Michigan and Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA).
Tickets for "Dirty Blonde" are currently on sale for $75 each (including pre-show dinner at the Historic Century Grille beginning at 6 p.m.) and may be purchased in advance by calling AIDS Partnership Michigan at 800-872-2437 or at http://www.aidspartnership.org. Tickets may also be purchased at the door, pending availability. All seating is general admission.
This one night only performance will be held at The Century Theatre located at The Historic Gem and Century Theatres located at 333 Madison Street, Detroit.
About AIDS Partnership Michigan
AIDS Partnership Michigan is the state's central resource for information and referral about HIV/AIDS and the largest service provider in Michigan. The agency provides total, wrap around HIV/AIDS services serving over 8,500 people each year.
About Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is the nation's leading industry based HIV/AIDS fundraising and grant-making organization.
About Prison City Players
A company of local writers, actors, musicians and directors, performing original sketch comedy live at ART 634 for the benefit of The Jackson School of the Arts.
About Disney's 'The Lion King'
Disney's "The Lion King" 'is now playing a limited engagement at the Detroit Opera House through Sunday, March 10. Performances are Tuesday through Saturday evenings at 7:30 p.m., Saturday matinees at 2 p.m., Sunday evenings at 6:30 p.m., and Sunday matinees at 1 p.m. There will also be a 1:00 p.m. matinee on Thursday, March 7. Tickets to "The Lion King" are available at the Fisher Theatre box office, the Detroit Opera House box office, all Ticketmaster locations, by phone at 1-866-870-2717 and online at http://www.ticketmaster.com or http://www.broadwayindetroit.com.
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- Thrive Therapy Group, PC
- Bobby Branch State Farm
- Grinstein Jewelry
- Legal Organizations
- Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund, Midwest Regional Office
- Charles H. Wright Museum of African-American History
- Pet Day Care
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Plastic Surgery
- Colton Center for Men
- Religious & Spiritual
- St. Aidan's Episcopal Church
- Social/Community Organizations
- Billionaire Boys Club
- Arbor Pointe Veterinary Hospital
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!