Look Out, Boys! Mae West Is Back In Town!
Retirement reception for Barbara Murray includes performance of 'Dirty Blonde'
Originally printed 2/28/2013 (Issue 2109 - Between The Lines News)
Mae West is back, and Detroit has her! In conjunction with the retirement reception for Barbara Murray from AIDS Partnership Michigan, "Dirty Blonde" will be presented as a very special one-time event on March 4 at The Century Theatre located inside The Historic Gem Theatre in Downtown Detroit.
A bawdy, funny drama, "Dirty Blonde" is no evening of mere impersonation. With vaudeville and her rise to Hollywood stardom as a backdrop, Mae West becomes a symbol for two adoring fans to discover their nature, their identities, and ultimately themselves. The evening's entertainment serves as reminder to celebrate ourselves and the impact we have on those around us.
"Dirty Blonde" will feature actors Mark David Kaplan (Zazu) and Ben Lipitz (Pumbaa) from Disney's "The Lion King," and Colleen Flynn from the Prison City Players in Jackson will star as Jo and Mae West.
All proceeds will benefit AIDS Partnership Michigan and Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA).
Tickets for "Dirty Blonde" are currently on sale for $75 each (including pre-show dinner at the Historic Century Grille beginning at 6 p.m.) and may be purchased in advance by calling AIDS Partnership Michigan at 800-872-2437 or at http://www.aidspartnership.org. Tickets may also be purchased at the door, pending availability. All seating is general admission.
This one night only performance will be held at The Century Theatre located at The Historic Gem and Century Theatres located at 333 Madison Street, Detroit.
About AIDS Partnership Michigan
AIDS Partnership Michigan is the state's central resource for information and referral about HIV/AIDS and the largest service provider in Michigan. The agency provides total, wrap around HIV/AIDS services serving over 8,500 people each year.
About Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is the nation's leading industry based HIV/AIDS fundraising and grant-making organization.
About Prison City Players
A company of local writers, actors, musicians and directors, performing original sketch comedy live at ART 634 for the benefit of The Jackson School of the Arts.
About Disney's 'The Lion King'
Disney's "The Lion King" 'is now playing a limited engagement at the Detroit Opera House through Sunday, March 10. Performances are Tuesday through Saturday evenings at 7:30 p.m., Saturday matinees at 2 p.m., Sunday evenings at 6:30 p.m., and Sunday matinees at 1 p.m. There will also be a 1:00 p.m. matinee on Thursday, March 7. Tickets to "The Lion King" are available at the Fisher Theatre box office, the Detroit Opera House box office, all Ticketmaster locations, by phone at 1-866-870-2717 and online at http://www.ticketmaster.com or http://www.broadwayindetroit.com.
- Honoring The Death Of Trans Sisters And Brothers
- Trans In Michigan? The ACLU Wants To Hear From You
- Schuette Wants State's 300 Same-Sex Marriages Voided
- Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Expansion Precarious
- Renowned Gay Writers To Visit Ann Arbor
- New MI Group Aims To Pass Fully Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Facebook Community Reacts To 6th Circuit Ruling
- Pay It Forward This Holiday Season
- Federal Court Rules 2011 Law Prohibiting Domestic Partner Benefits Unconstitutional
- States In 6th Circuit Request SCOTUS Review
- AT&T National 'Will Only Support Fully Inclusive Bill' On Civil Rights
- Michigan GOP Pushes Non-Inclusive Elliott-Larsen Amendment
- Upcoming Community Michigan LGBT Marriage Conversations
- Statewide Campaign For Gender Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- The Long Shot Move To Pass Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Jeremy Moss To Be Next State House Representative
- People Of Faith Invited To Community Conversation
- Obituary: Ernest B. Gutierrez 'Tito'
- Michigan's Marriage Ban Draws Strong Reaction
- Jon Hoadley: Next State House Rep. District 60
- Banquet Hall/Catering
- Epicurean Catering and Events
- Macomb Bike & Fitness
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Western Michigan University, Office of LBGT Student Services
- Community Centers
- Bloomfield Counseling, P.C.
- Financial Services
- University of Michigan
Credit Union (UMCU)
- Allstate Insurance
- All Around Limos LLC
- Social/Community Organizations
- Lambda Car Club International - Detroit Region
- Youth Services
- Ozone House Youth and Family Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!