Look Out, Boys! Mae West Is Back In Town!
Retirement reception for Barbara Murray includes performance of 'Dirty Blonde'
Originally printed 2/28/2013 (Issue 2109 - Between The Lines News)
Mae West is back, and Detroit has her! In conjunction with the retirement reception for Barbara Murray from AIDS Partnership Michigan, "Dirty Blonde" will be presented as a very special one-time event on March 4 at The Century Theatre located inside The Historic Gem Theatre in Downtown Detroit.
A bawdy, funny drama, "Dirty Blonde" is no evening of mere impersonation. With vaudeville and her rise to Hollywood stardom as a backdrop, Mae West becomes a symbol for two adoring fans to discover their nature, their identities, and ultimately themselves. The evening's entertainment serves as reminder to celebrate ourselves and the impact we have on those around us.
"Dirty Blonde" will feature actors Mark David Kaplan (Zazu) and Ben Lipitz (Pumbaa) from Disney's "The Lion King," and Colleen Flynn from the Prison City Players in Jackson will star as Jo and Mae West.
All proceeds will benefit AIDS Partnership Michigan and Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA).
Tickets for "Dirty Blonde" are currently on sale for $75 each (including pre-show dinner at the Historic Century Grille beginning at 6 p.m.) and may be purchased in advance by calling AIDS Partnership Michigan at 800-872-2437 or at http://www.aidspartnership.org. Tickets may also be purchased at the door, pending availability. All seating is general admission.
This one night only performance will be held at The Century Theatre located at The Historic Gem and Century Theatres located at 333 Madison Street, Detroit.
About AIDS Partnership Michigan
AIDS Partnership Michigan is the state's central resource for information and referral about HIV/AIDS and the largest service provider in Michigan. The agency provides total, wrap around HIV/AIDS services serving over 8,500 people each year.
About Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is the nation's leading industry based HIV/AIDS fundraising and grant-making organization.
About Prison City Players
A company of local writers, actors, musicians and directors, performing original sketch comedy live at ART 634 for the benefit of The Jackson School of the Arts.
About Disney's 'The Lion King'
Disney's "The Lion King" 'is now playing a limited engagement at the Detroit Opera House through Sunday, March 10. Performances are Tuesday through Saturday evenings at 7:30 p.m., Saturday matinees at 2 p.m., Sunday evenings at 6:30 p.m., and Sunday matinees at 1 p.m. There will also be a 1:00 p.m. matinee on Thursday, March 7. Tickets to "The Lion King" are available at the Fisher Theatre box office, the Detroit Opera House box office, all Ticketmaster locations, by phone at 1-866-870-2717 and online at http://www.ticketmaster.com or http://www.broadwayindetroit.com.
- Impact On The Kids, Totten Talks Harms Of Same-Sex Adoption Ban
- Races To Watch On Election Night
- Pastors Declare Challenge To Civil Rights For Michigan LGBT Community
- State House Blocks HIV And Other Reproductive Health Websites From Staff
- Revealing Bigotry: Taking On Gary Glenn
- MOASH Awarded Federal Funding To Improve Outcomes For LGBT Youth In Michigan
- Marriage Equality: 'It's Coming' Say LGBT Advocates
- Richard Bernstein: The Face Of Blind Justice
- Dave Agema: Arab Fighter Pilots Are 'Camel Jockeys'
- Ally vs. Extremist: McKenzie Seeks 11th District Win
- WMU To Award LGBT Alumna At Homecoming Event
- Ann Arbor Adopts Updated Non-Discrimination Ordinance
- Upcoming Mental Health Training Is Joined By Sex Therapist
- Co-Founder Awards Substantial Gift To Equality Michigan
- Michigan Roundtable To Honor Michigan Social Justice Advocates
- LGBT Jewelry Collection Comes To Tapper's
- Mark Totten Seeks Attorney General Seat, Speaks On Schuette
- MSHDA Under Investigation, Snyder Fundraiser Raises Questions
- Launch Of The 2014 Michigan Voter Guide
- Michigan Antique Festival
- Walter P. Reuther Library
- Rosemary A. Jozwiak and Associates
- Counseling Education
- Michigan School of Professional Psychology
- Families and Parents
- PFLAG Fenton
- Pet Training
- Fido Personal Dog training, LLC
- Moto Photo
- Political Organizations
- Libertarians for Gay and Lesbian Concerns
- Professional Organizations
- Suits And The City
- Team Detroit Aquatics (swimming)
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Annie Lennox On Her Legacy, Why Beyonce Is 'Feminist Lite'
- Q&A: Getting To The Core Of Nick Jonas: Abs, Album & That Gay Striptease 'They Made Me Do'
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
MICHIGAN - A recent study by Affirmations Community Center and the Kalamazoo Gay and Lesbian Resource Center, funded by the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH), facilitated eight focus groups with LGBT-identified individuals that helps shed light on tobacco use within the LGBT community.View More Health and Wellness
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!