Columbus Crew M Robbie Rogers #18 during the MLS game between Columbus Crew & Chivas USA on April 9 2011 at the Home Depot Center. Photo: Photo Works
Pro Soccer Player Robbie Rogers Says He Is Gay
By Rick Freeman
Originally printed 2/21/2013 (Issue 2108 - Between The Lines News)
Robbie Rogers, a former player for the U.S. national team and Major League Soccer, says he is gay and "could not be happier" about his decision to go public with his disclosure.
In a post on his personal website, Rogers writes: "Life is only complete when your loved ones know you. ... Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay." Rogers' agent, Shaun Higgins, confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday that the post was from his client. Rogers, who linked his Friday post from his Twitter account, said he was retiring.
"It's time to discover myself away from football," he said. "It's 1 a.m. in London as I write this and I could not be happier with my decision. Life is so full of amazing things. I realized I could only truly enjoy my life once I was honest."
The midfielder has been receiving an outpouring of support from American teammates, players in England's professional leagues, soccer officials and others around the world.
While several major individual-sport athletes have been openly gay, no professional athlete in any of the four major North American team sports has come out until well after he was done playing. US women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe came out last year before the Olympics and plays for Lyon in France.
Rogers played for the Columbus Crew of MLS from 2007 to 2011, winning the MLS Cup in 2008. For the United States, Rogers made 18 appearances, seven in games that were not exhibitions. He scored two goals, one in a CONCACAF Gold Cup match, and another to give the US a draw in an exhibition game against Mexico.
Among those tweeting support to Rogers were many U.S. teammates and U.S. women's players, MLS Commissioner Don Garber, NBA star Steve Nash, Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe and former England star and broadcaster Gary Lineker.
After five seasons in MLS, Rogers went to play in England last January. He joined Leeds United, which plays one step below the Premier League. He never really got going with Leeds because of injuries and went on loan to third-division Stevenage for this season. After more injury trouble, he returned to Leeds in January and was released.
- Study: Only 16 Percent Of Men Who Have Sex With Men Report Using Condoms 'Always'
- New Data Shows U.S. Benefiting From Same-Sex Marriage
- NYC Approves Ordinance On Trans Birth Certificates
- LGBT Baby Boomers Face Tough Retirement Hurdles
- In Wake Of Murder, International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers
- Financial Tips For Same-Sex Couples
- Group: Army To Recognize Transgender Vets' Names
- New Non-Discrimination Rule Implemented Federally
- Attorney: Same-Sex Marriages Should Start Soon In Miss.
- Will U.S. Supreme Court Resolve Marriage Debate?
- Mississippi Judge Overturns Same-Sex Marriage Ban
- Study Suggests Genetic Link For Male Homosexuality
- Shelter in Kansas City Won't House Gay Couples
- Gay Marriage Issue Now Linked To Ohio Senator
- Another Top Ohio Republican Speaks On Gay Marriage
- Pope Reinforces Traditional Family Values
- Election 2014: LGBT Candidates Make Some History Across U.S.
- Republican Sweep Captures Senate And Some Pro-Gay Governors
- LGBT Veterans Still Denied Equal Federal Benefits
- GLSEN Releases New National School Climate Survey On America's Middle And High Schools
- Banquet Hall/Catering
- Andiamo Italia Banquet Center
- Birmingham Door L.L.C.
- Event Planners
- Star Trax Event Productions
- Moving Companies
- Two Men And A Truck
- National Organizations
- National Black Justice Coalition
- Pet Boarding
- 4 Paws Community Center
- Berman Center for the Performing Arts
- Detroit Repertory Theatre
- Youth Services
- Alternatives For Girls
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- ALERT Missing Person In Metro Detroit
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: The Duggars
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!