Arts & Entertainment
Ozone House Peer Outreach Workers at the Drop-In Center in Ypsilanti. BTL Photo: Crystal Proxmire
Extended Hours For Ozone House's Drop-In Center
Originally printed 2/21/2013 (Issue 2108 - Between The Lines News)
The daily hours of operation for the Ozone House Drop-In Center in Ypsilanti are being extended due to a grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The new Ozone House Drop-In Center hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 4 - 6 p.m. and Thursdays: 4 - 8 p.m.
Colleen O'Brien, director of Youth Opportunity for Ozone House, said of the new hours, "We are really excited to be able to extend our hours at the Ozone House Drop-In Center because it allows us to have more programming for young people."
Government funding cuts for the Ozone House Street Outreach Program resulted in a reduction in operating hours for the Ypsilanti location in 2012. "Over the last several years Ozone House has faced increased competition for funding from larger metropolitan areas," said Ozone House Executive Director, Katie Doyle. "The grant from the Department of Health and Human Services is vital to our ability to continue to meet the growing needs of youth in our community."
The Drop-In Center is visited about 5,000 times per year by area youth. Young people visit Ypsi Ozone every weekday to hang out in a safe place, eat a hot meal furnished by Food Gatherers, do their laundry, take a shower, use computers and phones, get help with schoolwork, and access Ozone House housing and support services.
Ozone House is the only agency in Washtenaw County that provides free, confidential, and voluntary shelter and support services to runaway, homeless and high-risk youth ages 10-20 and their families. To learn more about Ozone House programs and services, visit http://www.ozonehouse.org.
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Recognizes Outstanding LGBTs, Allies at Silver Jubilee
- Michigan Leaders React To Feds Recognition Of Marriages
- ENDA Lobbying Comes to Michigan
- Transgender Day of Visibility Now World Wide
- White Nationalist Group Files Brief Supporting AG's Appeal In Marriage Ruling
- Sixth Circuit Continues Stay
- Michigan Marriage Ban Struck Down
- New LGBT-run Bakery Brings Organic Goodies to Detroit
- Elected Officials, Advocates Petition Schuette To Drop Marriage Aappeal
- Michigan Makes History With First Marriages
- Discredited Witness Part Of Right-Wing Cabal
- Schauer Celebrates Overturn Of Michigan Marriage Ban