Arts & Entertainment
More Than 200 Attend Memorial For Gay Orego Teen
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
LA GRANDE, Ore. (AP) -
More than 200 people attended a memorial Friday for a gay La Grande, Ore., teen who hanged himself in a schoolyard and died two weeks later.
Pastor David Eddy told the gathering that 15-year-old Jadin Bell "touched every single person's life here in some way."
The high school sophomore and cheerleader died last Sunday at a Portland hospital.
The Oregonian reports http://is.gd/aM6i7u that many of those at the memorial were the boy's schoolmates. Devon Bennett said she was a close friend and added, "The day will come when something great happens and I can't wait to tell Jadin."
Family friend and spokesman Bud Hill has said that Jadin and his father visited a high school counselor to report that the boy had been bullied. The boy's father, Joe Bell, spoke this week at the launch of a foundation against bullying, saying he didn't want his son's life to be in vain.
Neither family members nor the school district superintendent have released details about any bullying. No one has confirmed whether it triggered the boy's suicide.
- Judge Orders Colo. Cake-maker To Serve Gay Couples
- School Official Backs Transgender Remark
- Judge Hears Arguments On Utah's Gay Marriage Ban
- National Guard Sites To Take Same-sex Benefit Form
- Gay Weddings 17 Percent Of Washington Marriages
- NY Pushes Sochi Games Advertisers On Gay Rights
- With Survey, Vatican Asks Laity About Gay Marriage, Gay Families
- Gay Weddings Become Reality In Hawaii
- US Court Reviews Gay Russian's Asylum Case
- Gay Rights Fight Comes To Texas, Despite Ban
- Cardinal: Catholics 'Outmarketed' On Gay Marriage
- Gay Artifacts Subject Of New Museum Collection
- Nebraska County Eyes Benefits For Same-Sex Couples
- Plaintiffs In Gay Marriage Suit Say Minds Changing
- Mo. National Guard Handling IDs For Gay Spouses
- Judge Sets June 9 Trial On Pennsylvania Gay Marriage Suit
- Conn. Football Captain Charged With Killing Lover
- Ark. Clerk: Gay marriage Lawsuit A State Issue
- Rubio To Anti-Gay Group: Nation's Morality At Risk
- Olympic Sponsors Face Pressure Over Anti-Gay Law