Arts & Entertainment
More Than 200 Attend Memorial For Gay Orego Teen
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
LA GRANDE, Ore. (AP) -
More than 200 people attended a memorial Friday for a gay La Grande, Ore., teen who hanged himself in a schoolyard and died two weeks later.
Pastor David Eddy told the gathering that 15-year-old Jadin Bell "touched every single person's life here in some way."
The high school sophomore and cheerleader died last Sunday at a Portland hospital.
The Oregonian reports http://is.gd/aM6i7u that many of those at the memorial were the boy's schoolmates. Devon Bennett said she was a close friend and added, "The day will come when something great happens and I can't wait to tell Jadin."
Family friend and spokesman Bud Hill has said that Jadin and his father visited a high school counselor to report that the boy had been bullied. The boy's father, Joe Bell, spoke this week at the launch of a foundation against bullying, saying he didn't want his son's life to be in vain.
Neither family members nor the school district superintendent have released details about any bullying. No one has confirmed whether it triggered the boy's suicide.
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- N.J. School Allows Trans Girl To Attend As Herself
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Lambda Legal Sues On Behalf Of Veteran Same-Sex Spouses
- Uzo Aduba Wins Emmy For Crazy Eyes
- Memorial Service Held for Trans Woman Killed In Baltimore
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- 13-Year-Old Trans Girl Banned From School
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah
- Reagan Aide Says Disney Has Gay Agenda
- Texas Values President Loses Wife
- California Considers Gender Neutral Birth Certificate Language
- Texas Legislators Link Incest And Pedophilia To Same-Sex Marriage
- American Bar Association Endorses LGBT NonDiscrim Protections
- Highlights Of Love And Commitment From Aug. 5 Rally In Ohio
- Energy Rises In Cincinnati Streets Just Before 6th Circuit Hearing