Arts & Entertainment
AIDS Partnership Michigan Appoints Chief Executive Officer
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
Tom Verwest, President of the Board of AIDS Partnership Michigan, has announced the appointment of William D. VanHemert to the position of Chief Executive Officer effective March 4. VanHemert will succeed Barbara Murray, who is retiring after 24 years in the leadership position. He will become the 30 year old organization's third CEO.
VanHemert was employed at APM from 1993 to 1996. After moving to the western U.S., he served in positions with the Arizona Department of Health, New Arizona Family and United Behavioral Health in San Francisco. He returned to APM in 2009 and has most recently served as Director of Community Mobilization and Development, including the development of APM's highly recognized social media campaign to increase HIV testing targeting young African American men in Detroit, Wayne and Washtenaw counties.
VanHemert holds a BS in Psychology from Central Michigan University and a Master of Social Work in Clinical Mental Health from Wayne State University.
AIDS Partnership Michigan, the state of Michigan's first incorporated AIDS service organization, provides total wrap around services in response to HIV/AIDS including operation of the Michigan HIV/STD Hotline, HIV counseling and testing, medical case management, community re-entry for the Michigan Department of Corrections and Wayne County jail, behavioral health services and early intervention services. Over 8,500 clients are served annually. The organization employs 26 full time staff and manages an annual operating budget of $2.2 million.Learn more at http://www.aidspartnership.org, on Facebook and at 1-800-872-2437.
- State Of Affairs: Crisis In Prevention For Gay Community
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Options
- Detroit Art Scene Shines Every 3rd Thursday
- Affirmations Helpline Revamped
- State Rep. Candidate Jeremy Moss
- DTMC Christmas Concert Dec. 14
- Gala Kicks Off The Season
- Ruth Ellis Bio-pic To Be Screened At Center
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index
- Michigan 31: Trenton Passes Human Rights Ordinance
- Transgender Day Of Remembrance Lists 242 Killed
- How To Survive A Plague Comes To PBS
- Hope And Understanding For 'Unstably Housed' Youth
- Executive Director For Affirmations Dave Garcia Announces Departure
- Transgender Woman Murdered in Detroit
- Justice For Shelly: Civil Rights Complaint Filed Against Police In Gruesome Murder
- KICK Health Expo Discussions Go Beyond The Basics
- Transgender Workers Are At A High Risk Of Unemployment And Poverty