Arts & Entertainment
AIDS Partnership Michigan Appoints Chief Executive Officer
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
Tom Verwest, President of the Board of AIDS Partnership Michigan, has announced the appointment of William D. VanHemert to the position of Chief Executive Officer effective March 4. VanHemert will succeed Barbara Murray, who is retiring after 24 years in the leadership position. He will become the 30 year old organization's third CEO.
VanHemert was employed at APM from 1993 to 1996. After moving to the western U.S., he served in positions with the Arizona Department of Health, New Arizona Family and United Behavioral Health in San Francisco. He returned to APM in 2009 and has most recently served as Director of Community Mobilization and Development, including the development of APM's highly recognized social media campaign to increase HIV testing targeting young African American men in Detroit, Wayne and Washtenaw counties.
VanHemert holds a BS in Psychology from Central Michigan University and a Master of Social Work in Clinical Mental Health from Wayne State University.
AIDS Partnership Michigan, the state of Michigan's first incorporated AIDS service organization, provides total wrap around services in response to HIV/AIDS including operation of the Michigan HIV/STD Hotline, HIV counseling and testing, medical case management, community re-entry for the Michigan Department of Corrections and Wayne County jail, behavioral health services and early intervention services. Over 8,500 clients are served annually. The organization employs 26 full time staff and manages an annual operating budget of $2.2 million.Learn more at http://www.aidspartnership.org, on Facebook and at 1-800-872-2437.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show