Arts & Entertainment
AIDS Partnership Michigan Appoints Chief Executive Officer
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
Tom Verwest, President of the Board of AIDS Partnership Michigan, has announced the appointment of William D. VanHemert to the position of Chief Executive Officer effective March 4. VanHemert will succeed Barbara Murray, who is retiring after 24 years in the leadership position. He will become the 30 year old organization's third CEO.
VanHemert was employed at APM from 1993 to 1996. After moving to the western U.S., he served in positions with the Arizona Department of Health, New Arizona Family and United Behavioral Health in San Francisco. He returned to APM in 2009 and has most recently served as Director of Community Mobilization and Development, including the development of APM's highly recognized social media campaign to increase HIV testing targeting young African American men in Detroit, Wayne and Washtenaw counties.
VanHemert holds a BS in Psychology from Central Michigan University and a Master of Social Work in Clinical Mental Health from Wayne State University.
AIDS Partnership Michigan, the state of Michigan's first incorporated AIDS service organization, provides total wrap around services in response to HIV/AIDS including operation of the Michigan HIV/STD Hotline, HIV counseling and testing, medical case management, community re-entry for the Michigan Department of Corrections and Wayne County jail, behavioral health services and early intervention services. Over 8,500 clients are served annually. The organization employs 26 full time staff and manages an annual operating budget of $2.2 million.Learn more at http://www.aidspartnership.org, on Facebook and at 1-800-872-2437.
- Hotter Than July Conference Focuses On Past, Future Of Detroit's African American LGBT Community
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Equality Michigan Starts Petition To Change Michfest Trans Exclusion Policy
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns
- Hotter Than July Film Festival In Midtown
- Diverse Support For Same-Sex Couples In Michigan's Marriage Ban Challenge