Arts & Entertainment
Campaign Looks To Break Culture of Silence Around Discrimination
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
Hope is Ready has initiated a "Silence Isn't Always Golden" campaign in an attempt to open communication and education about the need to end discrimination against LGBTQ people. And they are calling on like-minded individuals to help.
The student-led group, which formed on the Hope College campus when the school wouldn't allow filmmaker Dustin Lance Black to speak, has been working this year on the theme "silence isn't always golden," promoting the message that it's not only a problem of open discrimination we face, but more importantly it's the culture of silence surrounding LGBTQ issues that poses a serious threat to education and ending discrimination.
The culmination of those efforts is an April 14 fundraiser that it will raise money to foster education and conversation. Hope is Ready has partnered with student organizations and schools across the state, and hopes to grow the event as big as possible.
The fundraiser, a black-tie optional formal Masquerade Ball, will be held at DeVos Place in the Steelcase Ballroom.
"Please take a look at the website and consider attending and becoming a named partner," Hope is Ready urged in an email to Holland area organizations. "We need your help to make this dream come true."
Advance tickets are $30 apiece ($25 for students) and partner packages range from $150-$800. For more details, go to http://www.hopeisready.org/siag/
The quick details:
Who: Hope is Ready and all people who believe that a good way to educate and end discrimination is to foster conversation
Food, refreshments and entertainment will be provided
What: A black-tie optional formal Masquerade Ball fundraiser to garner the money to bring education and conversation about LGBTQ issues to Michigan
When: April 14 from 7-9 p.m.
Where: DeVos Place Steelcase room
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality