Arts & Entertainment
HIV/STD Testing Expanded At Affirmations
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
Affirmations Community Center in Ferndale partners with Oakland County Health Division, AIDS Partnership Michigan and Michigan AIDS Coalition to offer free HIV and STD testing. All tests are free, confidential and anonymous. Find all scehdules below and online at http://www.goaffirmations.org/group/AHIV
Michigan AIDS Coalition:
HIV and Syphilis testing every Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 - 9 p.m. Youth only HIV testing provided 2nd, 3rd, 4th Fridays from 7:30 - 9 p.m.
Oakland County Health Division:
HIV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia testing provided 2nd Tuesdays from 6 - 9p.m.
AIDS Partnership Michigan:
HIV testing Thursdays from 5:30-8 p.m. and Saturdays from 1-2:30 p.m. Youth only HIV testing provided on 1st Fridays from 7:30 - 9 p.m.
APM also offers Testing Together. The program provides and opportunity for male couples/sexual partners to get tested for HIV together and receive their results together in a safe, neutral environment in a way that affirmas their relationship and allows for open discussion about safer sex. Trained counselors help the couple through discussions about, not only their HIV test results, but assist the couple in developing skills for addressing issues around HIV and having continued dialogue about sex within the context of their relationship.
Couples/sexual partners will be screened separately to determine their eligibility for the service and (if eligible) will then be given a short survey about their relationship. They will then meet with a counselor, discuss risk factors and get tested together.
Currently, Testing Together is available by appointment only to ensure that trained counselors are on-site. For more information about Testing Together or to schedule an appointment, contact Clarence Peeples at 313-446-9820.
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Recognizes Outstanding LGBTs, Allies at Silver Jubilee
- Michigan Leaders React To Feds Recognition Of Marriages
- ENDA Lobbying Comes to Michigan
- Transgender Day of Visibility Now World Wide
- White Nationalist Group Files Brief Supporting AG's Appeal In Marriage Ruling
- Sixth Circuit Continues Stay
- Michigan Marriage Ban Struck Down
- New LGBT-run Bakery Brings Organic Goodies to Detroit
- Elected Officials, Advocates Petition Schuette To Drop Marriage Aappeal
- Michigan Makes History With First Marriages
- Discredited Witness Part Of Right-Wing Cabal
- Schauer Celebrates Overturn Of Michigan Marriage Ban