Arts & Entertainment
HIV/STD Testing Expanded At Affirmations
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
Affirmations Community Center in Ferndale partners with Oakland County Health Division, AIDS Partnership Michigan and Michigan AIDS Coalition to offer free HIV and STD testing. All tests are free, confidential and anonymous. Find all scehdules below and online at http://www.goaffirmations.org/group/AHIV
Michigan AIDS Coalition:
HIV and Syphilis testing every Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 - 9 p.m. Youth only HIV testing provided 2nd, 3rd, 4th Fridays from 7:30 - 9 p.m.
Oakland County Health Division:
HIV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia testing provided 2nd Tuesdays from 6 - 9p.m.
AIDS Partnership Michigan:
HIV testing Thursdays from 5:30-8 p.m. and Saturdays from 1-2:30 p.m. Youth only HIV testing provided on 1st Fridays from 7:30 - 9 p.m.
APM also offers Testing Together. The program provides and opportunity for male couples/sexual partners to get tested for HIV together and receive their results together in a safe, neutral environment in a way that affirmas their relationship and allows for open discussion about safer sex. Trained counselors help the couple through discussions about, not only their HIV test results, but assist the couple in developing skills for addressing issues around HIV and having continued dialogue about sex within the context of their relationship.
Couples/sexual partners will be screened separately to determine their eligibility for the service and (if eligible) will then be given a short survey about their relationship. They will then meet with a counselor, discuss risk factors and get tested together.
Currently, Testing Together is available by appointment only to ensure that trained counselors are on-site. For more information about Testing Together or to schedule an appointment, contact Clarence Peeples at 313-446-9820.
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns