Arts & Entertainment
HIV/STD Testing Expanded At Affirmations
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
Affirmations Community Center in Ferndale partners with Oakland County Health Division, AIDS Partnership Michigan and Michigan AIDS Coalition to offer free HIV and STD testing. All tests are free, confidential and anonymous. Find all scehdules below and online at http://www.goaffirmations.org/group/AHIV
Michigan AIDS Coalition:
HIV and Syphilis testing every Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 - 9 p.m. Youth only HIV testing provided 2nd, 3rd, 4th Fridays from 7:30 - 9 p.m.
Oakland County Health Division:
HIV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia testing provided 2nd Tuesdays from 6 - 9p.m.
AIDS Partnership Michigan:
HIV testing Thursdays from 5:30-8 p.m. and Saturdays from 1-2:30 p.m. Youth only HIV testing provided on 1st Fridays from 7:30 - 9 p.m.
APM also offers Testing Together. The program provides and opportunity for male couples/sexual partners to get tested for HIV together and receive their results together in a safe, neutral environment in a way that affirmas their relationship and allows for open discussion about safer sex. Trained counselors help the couple through discussions about, not only their HIV test results, but assist the couple in developing skills for addressing issues around HIV and having continued dialogue about sex within the context of their relationship.
Couples/sexual partners will be screened separately to determine their eligibility for the service and (if eligible) will then be given a short survey about their relationship. They will then meet with a counselor, discuss risk factors and get tested together.
Currently, Testing Together is available by appointment only to ensure that trained counselors are on-site. For more information about Testing Together or to schedule an appointment, contact Clarence Peeples at 313-446-9820.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit