Arts & Entertainment
Grant Allows For Affirmations Cyber Center Upgrade
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
The new year is bringing changes to Affirmations Community Center. A grand re-opening event will take place on Feb. 15 to unveil the improvements. One of the most notable changes is the addition of 15 new computers in the cyber center area. A grant from the David Bohnett Foundation which provides funding, state-of-the-art technology and technical support, made these recent upgrades possible. The new computers will allow for additional programming and training courses going forward.
In addition, by leveraging a Building for the Future grant that provided matching funds, the center has replaced flooring in the most heavily used areas, using more durable and easily maintained materials.
"I believe the upgrades have made an incredible improvement. Ultimately, I believe center users will have a better experience by being in a more welcoming space," said David Garcia, executive director.
The grand re-opening event will take place all day Friday and tours will be given every hour beginning at 10 a.m. by Garcia. Community members are also invited to a wine toast at 6 p.m. Beverages and snacks will be available throughout the day. Affirmations is located at 290 W. 9 Mile Rd. in Ferndale. For more information contact Director of Communications Cassandra Varner at 248-398-7105 ext. 227 or email CVarner@GoAffirmations.org.
- State Of Affairs: Crisis In Prevention For Gay Community
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Options
- Detroit Art Scene Shines Every 3rd Thursday
- Affirmations Helpline Revamped
- State Rep. Candidate Jeremy Moss
- DTMC Christmas Concert Dec. 14
- Gala Kicks Off The Season
- Ruth Ellis Bio-pic To Be Screened At Center
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index
- Michigan 31: Trenton Passes Human Rights Ordinance
- Transgender Day Of Remembrance Lists 242 Killed
- How To Survive A Plague Comes To PBS
- Hope And Understanding For 'Unstably Housed' Youth
- Executive Director For Affirmations Dave Garcia Announces Departure
- Transgender Woman Murdered in Detroit
- Justice For Shelly: Civil Rights Complaint Filed Against Police In Gruesome Murder
- KICK Health Expo Discussions Go Beyond The Basics
- Transgender Workers Are At A High Risk Of Unemployment And Poverty