Arts & Entertainment
Grant Allows For Affirmations Cyber Center Upgrade
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
The new year is bringing changes to Affirmations Community Center. A grand re-opening event will take place on Feb. 15 to unveil the improvements. One of the most notable changes is the addition of 15 new computers in the cyber center area. A grant from the David Bohnett Foundation which provides funding, state-of-the-art technology and technical support, made these recent upgrades possible. The new computers will allow for additional programming and training courses going forward.
In addition, by leveraging a Building for the Future grant that provided matching funds, the center has replaced flooring in the most heavily used areas, using more durable and easily maintained materials.
"I believe the upgrades have made an incredible improvement. Ultimately, I believe center users will have a better experience by being in a more welcoming space," said David Garcia, executive director.
The grand re-opening event will take place all day Friday and tours will be given every hour beginning at 10 a.m. by Garcia. Community members are also invited to a wine toast at 6 p.m. Beverages and snacks will be available throughout the day. Affirmations is located at 290 W. 9 Mile Rd. in Ferndale. For more information contact Director of Communications Cassandra Varner at 248-398-7105 ext. 227 or email CVarner@GoAffirmations.org.
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns