Arts & Entertainment
Grant Allows For Affirmations Cyber Center Upgrade
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
The new year is bringing changes to Affirmations Community Center. A grand re-opening event will take place on Feb. 15 to unveil the improvements. One of the most notable changes is the addition of 15 new computers in the cyber center area. A grant from the David Bohnett Foundation which provides funding, state-of-the-art technology and technical support, made these recent upgrades possible. The new computers will allow for additional programming and training courses going forward.
In addition, by leveraging a Building for the Future grant that provided matching funds, the center has replaced flooring in the most heavily used areas, using more durable and easily maintained materials.
"I believe the upgrades have made an incredible improvement. Ultimately, I believe center users will have a better experience by being in a more welcoming space," said David Garcia, executive director.
The grand re-opening event will take place all day Friday and tours will be given every hour beginning at 10 a.m. by Garcia. Community members are also invited to a wine toast at 6 p.m. Beverages and snacks will be available throughout the day. Affirmations is located at 290 W. 9 Mile Rd. in Ferndale. For more information contact Director of Communications Cassandra Varner at 248-398-7105 ext. 227 or email CVarner@GoAffirmations.org.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit