Arts & Entertainment
Grant Allows For Affirmations Cyber Center Upgrade
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
The new year is bringing changes to Affirmations Community Center. A grand re-opening event will take place on Feb. 15 to unveil the improvements. One of the most notable changes is the addition of 15 new computers in the cyber center area. A grant from the David Bohnett Foundation which provides funding, state-of-the-art technology and technical support, made these recent upgrades possible. The new computers will allow for additional programming and training courses going forward.
In addition, by leveraging a Building for the Future grant that provided matching funds, the center has replaced flooring in the most heavily used areas, using more durable and easily maintained materials.
"I believe the upgrades have made an incredible improvement. Ultimately, I believe center users will have a better experience by being in a more welcoming space," said David Garcia, executive director.
The grand re-opening event will take place all day Friday and tours will be given every hour beginning at 10 a.m. by Garcia. Community members are also invited to a wine toast at 6 p.m. Beverages and snacks will be available throughout the day. Affirmations is located at 290 W. 9 Mile Rd. in Ferndale. For more information contact Director of Communications Cassandra Varner at 248-398-7105 ext. 227 or email CVarner@GoAffirmations.org.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality