Arts & Entertainment
Ex-Corunna Teacher Says She Lost Job Over Gay Club
Originally printed 2/14/2013 (Issue 2107 - Between The Lines News)
CORUNNA, Mich. (AP) -
A former teacher is suing a central Michigan school district that did not renew her contract following a dispute over a poster raising awareness for the LGBT community.
The Argus-Press of Owosso reports http://bit.ly/WTEV6b Thursday that Brook Johnson filed the suit in federal court in Flint against the Corunna Public Schools and some current and former district officials.
The district says it's declining comment because officials haven't been served with the lawsuit.
Brook says she got negative evaluations because she was involved with a high school diversity club. Brook's contract expired in 2011.
Brook was the club's adviser in 2009 when the school board voted to remove a club poster from a school showcase. The board later allowed the poster to remain.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality