Arts & Entertainment
Forums Will Look At LGBT Consumers and the Affordable Care Act
Reform And Access To Quality, Affordable Healthcare Evaluated
Originally printed 2/7/2013 (Issue 2106 - Between The Lines News)
Michigan's leading healthcare consumer organization, Michigan Consumers for Healthcare, the Center for American Progress and Equality Michigan will be presenting forums around the state starting this month entitled "The Affordable Care Act and LGBT Consumers: How Healthcare Reform Improves Access to Quality, Affordable Healthcare."
"Healthcare reform is part of a string of incredible advances that LGBT communities have fought for across the United States. But it's really crucial that LGBT consumers understand how these reforms benefit them in particular and how they can get involved to shape LGBT-friendly implementations of the law," said Ryan Sullivan, Policy Lead at MCH.
Eli Isaguirre, Western Michigan Coordinator at MCH, spoke about the importance of explaining this law to all communities.
"The main thing we want people to take away is a better understanding of what health reform actually is. There is so much misinformation out there that people don't know what to believe. Our non-partisan approach to educating people about the Affordable Care Act gives them the best opportunity to cut through partisan rhetoric and truly have a better understanding of the law," said Isaguire.
Oakland University, Gold Room C, Oakland Center, Feb. 11 at 2 p.m.
Eastern Michigan University, 350 Student Center, Feb. 12 at 3:30
University of Michigan, 1230 Weill Hall (School of Public Policy) Feb. 12 at 7 p.m.
For more information visit:
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index
- Michigan 31: Trenton Passes Human Rights Ordinance
- Transgender Day Of Remembrance Lists 242 Killed
- How To Survive A Plague Comes To PBS
- Hope And Understanding For 'Unstably Housed' Youth
- Executive Director For Affirmations Dave Garcia Announces Departure
- Transgender Woman Murdered in Detroit
- Justice For Shelly: Civil Rights Complaint Filed Against Police In Gruesome Murder
- KICK Health Expo Discussions Go Beyond The Basics
- Transgender Workers Are At A High Risk Of Unemployment And Poverty
- Ferndale Pride Changes Leadership: Covey Steps Down and Music Steps In
- AIDS Partnership Michigan's Hank Milbourne Recognized as POZ 100
- The Know Us Project
- Auto Companies Recognize Same Sex Marriages, Regardless of State Bans
- STUDY: Health Risks High For LGBT People
- Marriage Equality Equals Financial Equality
- New Americorp Team Will Continue Support Of HIV-AIDS Work
- Pioneer Paved Way In Birmingham Schools