Arts & Entertainment
Gay Man Beaten Outside Muskegon Bar
Originally printed 2/7/2013 (Issue 2106 - Between The Lines News)
MUSKEGON - A 29-year-old Muskegon man was beaten unconscious outside of DJ's Pub and Grill on Henry Street in Muskegon early on the morning of Feb. 3 where he had been singing karoke the night before. The attack happened as the bar was closing, and took place in an area of the parking lot without cameras.
Reports say that four men attacked Adam Lee Johnson while making comments about his sexual orientation. Days prior to the attack a man had been thrown out of the bar for making derogatory remarks and threats toward Johnson. It is unclear if those incidents are related. Johnson was a regular at the pub.
Johnson was taken by ambulance to the hospital where he was treated for a mild concussion and bruising. Johnson filed a police report Feb. 5. "Went to file a report and they told me that the case had been closed due to lack of information, but reopened due to so many people calling on my behalf! I'm absolutely humbled and grateful for you all. Thank you for your continued support and love. We have some real warriors out there," Johnson wrote on Facebook.
Johnson is committed to being open about the attack. "I want to use every resource I can to bring awareness to this incident and make sure it doesn't happen to someone else," he told Between The Lines.
Muskegon Police have confirmed that a detective has been assigned to the case, and they are looking into if it was a hate crime. The victim has also connected with Equality Michigan, a statewide organization that offers services including reporting, counseling, and victim advocacy for those targeted because of their sexual orientation or gender identity and expression.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality