UK Conservatives Urge Delay On Gay Marriage Vote
Originally printed 2/7/2013 (Issue 2106 - Between The Lines News)
LONDON (AP) -
Conservative Party members in Britain have written to their leader, Prime Minister David Cameron, to urge him to delay a parliamentary vote on gay marriage.
The politicians warned that the ruling party will lose significant numbers of voters in the 2015 election if the plans enter law.
Lawmakers are due to get their first vote Tuesday on the proposed bill, which would enable same-sex couples to get married in both civil and religious ceremonies. It would also allow couples who had entered into civil partnerships to convert their relationship to a marriage.
More than 20 heads of local Conservative associations delivered a letter urging a delay in the vote to Downing Street on Sunday.
Cameron supports the bill, but the issue has divided his Conservative Party.
- Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
- Williams Audi
- Northern Auto Repairs
- Caesar's Windsor Hotel & Casino
- Florists/Floral Design
- Fleur Detroit
- All Around Limos LLC
- Religious & Spiritual
- Ann Arbor Friends Meeting
- St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
- Woodside Church
- University of Detroit
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- LeAnn Rimes Q&A: 'Eddie & I Are A Gay Man's Wet Dream'
- Why Jason Mraz Won't Kiss & Tell: 'I've Spoken Up For The Things That Are Important To Me'
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!