Arts & Entertainment
VA Senate OKs Anti-Discrimination Bill
Originally printed 1/31/2013 (Issue 2105 - Between The Lines News)
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -
The Senate has passed a measure to prohibit state government from discriminating against employees because of their sexual orientation.
The bill passed out of the Senate on a 24-16 vote Friday. The move was applauded by Equality Virginia, a gay-rights organization. U.S. Sen. and former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner also commended the move.
The proposal has won Senate approval in previous years but has never made it through the Republican-controlled House of Delegates.
Previous efforts were sparked by Gov. Bob McDonnell, when he omitted gays from a 2010 executive order banning workplace discrimination. Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli later declared that there is no legal ground for protecting gays from discrimination until the General Assembly enacts such a law.
McDonnell later said he would not tolerate any discrimination in state government.
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah