Ontario Gets First Female And Openly Gay Premier
Originally printed 1/31/2013 (Issue 2105 - Between The Lines News)
TORONTO (AP) -
Canada's most populous province is getting its first female premier and the country's first openly gay premier after the provincial Liberals chose a new leader.
Former education minister Kathleen Wynne won the party's leadership race Saturday.
Wynne is making history as Canada's first openly gay premier, a subject she confronted head-on in a speech Saturday morning. Wynne says Ontario is ready for a gay woman as premier and says she does not believe Ontarians hold prejudice in their hearts.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper congratulated Wynne, and thanked outgoing Premier Dalton McGuinty who is stepping down after nine years in office. He won a third term last year, but his party was reduced to a minority of the seats in the legislature and must rely on the opposition to pass legislation.
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Washtenaw Veterinary Hospital
- Visitors Bureau
- Ypsilanti Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Men's Yoga
- Youth Services
- Neutral Zone
- The Corner Health Center - Young Adult Health Center
- Ozone House Youth and Family Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Feds Give Spring Arbor University Permission To Discriminate Against LGBT Community
- Q&A: Panic! Frontman Talks Westboro Protest: 'It Was Pathetic'
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- Viewpoint:Why Trans Exclusion at Michfest Must Finally End
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!