Arts & Entertainment
Ferndale Blues Festival Jan 25 - Feb 2
Originally printed 1/24/2013 (Issue 2104 - Between The Lines News)
The 12th Annual Ferndale Blues and Music Festival is breaking records this year in many ways. There are more venues, more artists, and more days of music than ever before. The Blues Festival is a giant fundraiser for Ferndale Youth Assistance and Michigan AIDS Coalition, that last year brought in over $19,000 for the charities. This year there are 75 concerts at 27 venues, spread out over 10 days of fun.
Festival Co-Chair Craig Covey of Ferndale Youth Assistance explained the motivation for the big party. "We do this for three reasons. One, to raise money for the two charities. The second reason we do it is to promote the cities and the Downtown and the businesses in an otherwise slow time of the year. But just as important is that we are promoting music and culture and enabling people to get out. A lot of people get the blues during this time of year or they get cabin fever. The holidays are over, taxes are going up, the nights are long and the days are short. And so we think its an ideal time to come together and support each other."
Co-Chair Monica Mills of Michigan AIDS Coalition is heading up the volunteer. Volunteers are needed to attend the venues and help pass around the plastic blue pigs which are used to collect money for the charities. Interested volunteers can contact Monica at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The event is supported by the venues and by the many businesses that come together to be sponsors, including Bud Light, Absolute Vodka, Garden Fresh, Allstate Insurance and media outlets like Between The Lines and The Ferndale 115 News.
In addition to great musicians, The Blues Festival winds down with the Rib Burn Off on Feb.2 in the tent behind Dino's Lounge. For a $10 donation, visitors can sample ribs from multiple teams and vote for which is their favorite.
The festival's official website is http://www.ferndalebluesfestival.org.
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Recognizes Outstanding LGBTs, Allies at Silver Jubilee
- Michigan Leaders React To Feds Recognition Of Marriages
- ENDA Lobbying Comes to Michigan
- Transgender Day of Visibility Now World Wide
- White Nationalist Group Files Brief Supporting AG's Appeal In Marriage Ruling
- Sixth Circuit Continues Stay
- Michigan Marriage Ban Struck Down
- New LGBT-run Bakery Brings Organic Goodies to Detroit
- Elected Officials, Advocates Petition Schuette To Drop Marriage Aappeal
- Michigan Makes History With First Marriages
- Discredited Witness Part Of Right-Wing Cabal
- Schauer Celebrates Overturn Of Michigan Marriage Ban