The Ringwald Gets A Little New Year's 'Rain'
Originally printed 1/10/2013 (Issue 2102 - Between The Lines News)
FERNDALE - A sweeping portrait spanning 80 years, "When the Rain Stops Falling" is a story of fathers and sons, lovers and friends, husbands and wives - a grippingly intimate tale of a young man courageously defying the legacies of his ancestors. At times surreal and hauntingly close to the heart, "When the Rain Stops Falling" will play Jan. 11-28 at The Ringwald Theatre in downtown Ferndale.
"When the Rain Stops Falling," written by Australian playwright Andrew Bovell, had its U.S. premiere at Lincoln Center in 2010 and was subsequently named "Best Play of the Year" by Time magazine.
It's raining. Gabriel York is awaiting the arrival of his grown son whom he hasn't seen since he was 7. "I know what he wants. He wants what all young men want from their fathers. He wants to know who he is. Where he comes from. Where he belongs. And for the life of me I don't know what to tell him." That's the beginning of this compelling family saga that takes us back and forth in time from one generation to another, from 1959 to 2039, from London to Australia. With four generations of fathers and sons, their mothers, lovers and wives, "When the Rain Stops Falling" is epic in its scope, yet at the same time extraordinarily intimate and always exquisitely beautiful.
The cast for "When the Rain Stops Falling" features Travis Reiff (Gabriel York), Bryan Lark (Henry Law), Annabelle Young (Elizabeth Law - Younger), Connie Cowper (Elizabeth Law - Older), Michael Lopetrone (Gabriel Law), Ashley Shamoon (Gabrielle York - Younger), Cara Trautman (Gabrielle York - Older), Joel Mitchell (Joe Ryan), and Bailey Boudreau (Andrew Price).
"When the Rain Stops Falling" is directed by Jamie Warrow. Bethany Hedden is the stage manager and assistant director, Alexander Carr is scenic and media design, Barton Bund is sound design, Michelle LeRoy is lighting design, original music and score is provided by Travis Reiff. Costume design is provided by Miekyle Turner, dialect coaching is Karen Sheridan, and property design provided by Jamie Warrow.
"When the Rain Stops Falling" opens Friday, Jan. 11 and plays through Monday, Jan. 28. Performances are at 8 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Monday nights, with 3 p.m. Sunday matinees.
Ticket prices are $20 for Friday and Saturday performances, $15 for Sunday shows, and Monday nights are half-off the original ticket price at only $10 each. All students can now receive a $5 discount off normal ticket price on Friday, Saturday and Sunday performances (available at the box office the day of the show with valid student ID). Tickets can be purchased at www.TheRingwald.com or at the theater box office. The Ringwald box office opens 45 minutes before performances and tickets can be purchased with cash or Visa/Mastercard.
The Ringwald Theatre is located at 22742 Woodward Avenue in the Times Square of Ferndale.
- The Perfect Match
- Deep Inside Hollywood
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her Praise For Taylor Swift
- Famed Cartoonist Alison Bechdel Chats Ahead Of Ann Arbor Talk
- Kathy Griffin Speaks Out On Bill Cosby: 'Allegedly Probably Guilty'
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police'
- Air Conditioning/Heating
- AAC Services Heating, Cooling & Refrigeration
- Alarm Systems
- ADT Security Services
- Community Centers
- The LGBT Network of Western Michigan
- People's Food Co-op and Cafe Verde
- Diamond Castle Jewelers
- Ross Mortgage
- Moving Companies
- Two Men and a Truck
- Religious & Spiritual
- GIFT - "Gay Christian? Yes!" Campaign
- Tax Planning/Preparation
- Harbour Tax & Accounting
- North Main Animal Hospital
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police' & Cher's Health
- Missing Person Found In Metro Detroit
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her (Lack Of) Girl Crushes
- Q&A: Harvey Fierstein Opens Up On The Success Of 'Kinky Boots,' His 'Legendary Disaster' & 'Insulting' Double Standards
- Marriage Of 300 Same-Sex Couples Ruled Valid In Michigan
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!