New FBI Data Shows Hate Crimes Based on Sexual Orientation On Rise
Originally printed 12/6/2012 (Issue 2049 - Between The Lines News)
WASHINGTON - For the first time, crimes directed against individuals on the basis of sexual orientation are the second most frequent hate crime committed after crimes based on race, according to the 2011 Hate Crimes statistics released Dec. 10 by the FBI as part of the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program. Surpassing crimes committed on the basis of religion, the number of reported hate crimes committed against gay men and lesbians increased from 1,277 in 2010 to 1,293 in 2011.
"The 2011 FBI hate crimes data is a sad reminder that even as we make great strides toward equality under the law, LGBT people in face dangers in America," said HRC President Chad Griffin. "We must rid our country of the violence that has devastated our community for far too long."
Hate crimes statistics are submitted to the FBI by law enforcement agencies across the country on a voluntary basis - there is no requirement under the law for agencies to submit the data. In 2011, the number of agencies reporting this data dropped to 14,575, a decrease from 14,977 the previous year. Of these data-submitting agencies, only 1,944 reported even a single hate crime to the FBI, the lowest number of agencies reporting one or more hate crimes since 2002.
Crimes reported to the FBI involve those motivated by biases based on race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity/national origin, and disability. Currently, the FBI does not collect data on hate crimes committed on the basis of gender identity. Under the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, the FBI will begin collecting this data in 2013 and will report these statistics beginning in 2014. HRC and partner organizations have worked with the FBI to implement changes to hate crimes data collection since the passage of the Act in 2009, assisting in updating the agency's crime reporting form and training materials to include gender identity.
"We commend the FBI for recognizing the needs of transgender Americans, who face violence at alarming and disproportionate rates," added Griffin. Hate crime data will help law enforcement agencies better understand how to serve and protect the LGBT community."
Reporting hate crimes to the FBI is a criterion in HRC's new Municipal Equality Index (MEI), the first ever rating system of LGBT inclusion in municipal law, which was released in November. Such reporting demonstrates law enforcement's attention to such crimes and ensures that the larger law enforcement community is able to accurately gauge the scope of and responses to hate crimes.FBI Hate Crimes Statistics can be viewed at: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2011.
- Family And Medical Leave Act Updates Definition Of Spouse
- San Francisco Doctors Report Two Hepatitis C Infections Among PrEP Users
- No Veto From Arkansas Gov. On Bill Banning LGBT Discrimination Laws
- Despite Ban, First Same-Sex Couple Marries In Texas
- Kate Brown Sworn In As Oregon Governor; Predecessor Resigns
- Singer Lesley Gore Succumbs To Cancer
- Some Alabama Counties Refusing Marriage Licenses To Gay Couples
- Couples Ask Arkansas Court To Allow Gay Marriages To Resume
- Ala Chief Justice Tells Judges: Refuse Gay Marriage Licenses
- Looming Dilemma For Upcoming Historic Marriage Case
- Is This The Beginning Of The End For Conversion Therapy?
- Justice Thomas Objects To Court's Signal On Gay Marriage
- Bias Complaints At Daimler Portland Plant Settled For $2.4M
- Some California Judges With Ties To Boy Scouts Question Ban
- Transgender Teen's Death Stirs Action In US And Beyond
- Virginia Panel Rejects Adoption By Unmarried Gay Couples
- Senate Panel Quickly Advances Religious Freedom Bill
- Doubletree Guest Suites/Fort Shelby Hotel
- Banquet Hall/Catering
- Detroit Marriott Livonia
- Families and Parents
- Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians & Gays (PFLAG) National Office
- Florists/Floral Design
- Fleur Detroit
- Landscape Supplies
- Suburban Landscape Supply
- Real Estate/Agent
- The McCarty Team
- Transgender Groups/Services
- UMHS Comprehensive Gender Services Program
- The Tux Shop on Woodward
- Wedding Venue
- Flint Institute Of Arts
- Burgh Historical Park
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- EXCLUSIVE! Ricky Martin Talks Love Life ('I'm Enjoying Being Single'), Shirtless Selfies, Swoon-Worthy Texts & How He'd React To Having Gay Sons
- Controversial Musician Cameron Carpenter: Don't Call Me The 'Flamboyant Organist'
- Q&A: John Waters On Kink Freaks, James Franco, His Collection Of A**hole Art & Why He May Retire From Film
- Closet, Hollywood Gossip Collide In Riverwalk Theatre Production
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
Dancing, music, delicious food and a party atmosphere will greet the hundreds of people coming out to the 2015 Ultimate LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo March 21.View More Marriage
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!