Arts & Entertainment
Ferndale Pride Gives $10,000 to Local Charities
By Crystal Proxmire
Originally printed 12/6/2012 (Issue 2049 - Between The Lines News)
In just its second year, Ferndale Pride was able to raise $10,000 to give to local charities. Michigan AIDS Coalition, Affirmations, the Dyke March and the Ferndale Community Foundation each received part of the $10,000 total.
County Commissioner and Ferndale Pride organizer Craig Covey announced the totals at the Nov. 26 Ferndale City Council meeting, praising everyone who was involved. The gross taken in for the event was $26,000, with $16,000 going to expenses such as tent rental, stage rental, and fees to the City which include permits and staff time for DPW, Police and Fire related to the weekend-long event.
This total was in addition to the Rainbow Run, a tie-in event created by the Ferndale Area Chamber of Commerce. It was the first year for this event, and it quickly sold out with 500 runners/walkers participating. According to Chamber Executive Director Jennifer Roosenberg, 90 percent of the runners came from outside Ferndale and that many brought friends and family with them to the event. The gross for the Rainbow Run was $21,374. Expenses were $10,478.
Three local charities each got $1,040, for total gift of $3,120 and the remaining profits went to the Chamber's general fund, helping them to hire an additional part-time staff person and begin new programming.
Ferndale Pride is a celebration of diversity that is organized by dozens of volunteers in partnership with a variety of local businesses. It takes place each June. The exact date for 2013 is not yet set. For more information and updates visit http://www.ferndalepride.com.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show