Arts & Entertainment
KGLRC Hires Megan Bauer As Community Engagement Coordinator
Originally printed 11/15/2012 (Issue 2046 - Between The Lines News)
The Kalamazoo Gay and Lesbian Resource center has announced the hiring of Megan Bauer as its new Community Engagement Coordinator.
Since July, Bauer has worked as an intern with the KGLRC's I Commit Campaign, a program fostering civic engagement by identifying, registering and mobilizing progressive voters.
This is the KGLRC's second hire within the last month.
"I am thrilled to be a full-time member of the KGLRC's team and to build on the election work we've been doing together over the last four months," says Bauer.
Bauer's position is funded through a new partnership between the KGLRC and the Unity Michigan Coalition, which works to ensure that all Michiganders are treated fairly by advancing non-discrimination policies.
Her work will build on the successes of the I Commit Campaign and expand those successes to nearby communities.
"Next year, we will bring the KGLRC and the entire queer community of Southwest Michigan to a new level," says Bauer. "We'll intimately engage the areas of Comstock, Oshtemo and Kalamazoo townships and Portage not only in identifying and building a queer base, but also in identifying and answering the deep needs of the community."
"I am incredibly excited to have a woman of Ms. Bauer's caliber on staff at the KGLRC," writes KGLRC Executive Director Zach Bauer (no relation) in a letter to members of KGLRC. "Her drive, intelligence and passion make her a strong addition to our team."
Megan Bauer graduated from Kalamazoo College in June with a bachelor's degree in Political Science and German. She has worked with Habitat for Humanity as an AmeriCorps volunteer and Queers for Economic Justice in New York.
"This is an unprecedented time for the Resource Center, says Zach Bauer. "With the addition of Ms. Bauer, we are stronger than we have ever been and excited to show the community what we can do."
For more information about the KGLRC, go to http://www.KGLRC.org.
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality