Arts & Entertainment
Kuhnke wins, other LGBT candidates lose
Originally printed 11/15/2012 (Issue 2046 - Between The Lines News)
ANN ARBOR -
Carol Kuhnke won her election for Circuit Court Judge in Washtenaw County, making her the first openly LGBT judge elected by the people in Michigan.
"I am incredibly humbled and honored to have been elected Washtenaw County Circuit Court Judge," said Kuhnke. "I hope that young people in the community will see that they can be whomever and whatever they wish to be regardless of who they love. I also hope that my election takes us closer to full equality."
There were three other races in which openly LGBT candidates ran for office, but none of them won their election bids. Kevin Howley was defeated by incumbent L. Brooks Patterson for Oakland County Executive, Ken Ross lost his bid for Circuit Court Judge in Ingham County, and Todd Heywood lost in his race for a seat on the Lansing Community College Board of Trustees.
Other LGBT judges have or are serving in Michigan, but they either were appointed or did not run as out gay candidates elected, such as Rudy Serra, Frank Arnold and William Baillargeon.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show