Arts & Entertainment
Kuhnke wins, other LGBT candidates lose
Originally printed 11/15/2012 (Issue 2046 - Between The Lines News)
ANN ARBOR -
Carol Kuhnke won her election for Circuit Court Judge in Washtenaw County, making her the first openly LGBT judge elected by the people in Michigan.
"I am incredibly humbled and honored to have been elected Washtenaw County Circuit Court Judge," said Kuhnke. "I hope that young people in the community will see that they can be whomever and whatever they wish to be regardless of who they love. I also hope that my election takes us closer to full equality."
There were three other races in which openly LGBT candidates ran for office, but none of them won their election bids. Kevin Howley was defeated by incumbent L. Brooks Patterson for Oakland County Executive, Ken Ross lost his bid for Circuit Court Judge in Ingham County, and Todd Heywood lost in his race for a seat on the Lansing Community College Board of Trustees.
Other LGBT judges have or are serving in Michigan, but they either were appointed or did not run as out gay candidates elected, such as Rudy Serra, Frank Arnold and William Baillargeon.
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Recognizes Outstanding LGBTs, Allies at Silver Jubilee
- Michigan Leaders React To Feds Recognition Of Marriages
- ENDA Lobbying Comes to Michigan
- Transgender Day of Visibility Now World Wide
- White Nationalist Group Files Brief Supporting AG's Appeal In Marriage Ruling
- Sixth Circuit Continues Stay
- Michigan Marriage Ban Struck Down
- New LGBT-run Bakery Brings Organic Goodies to Detroit
- Elected Officials, Advocates Petition Schuette To Drop Marriage Aappeal
- Michigan Makes History With First Marriages
- Discredited Witness Part Of Right-Wing Cabal
- Schauer Celebrates Overturn Of Michigan Marriage Ban