Arts & Entertainment
Kuhnke wins, other LGBT candidates lose
Originally printed 11/15/2012 (Issue 2046 - Between The Lines News)
ANN ARBOR -
Carol Kuhnke won her election for Circuit Court Judge in Washtenaw County, making her the first openly LGBT judge elected by the people in Michigan.
"I am incredibly humbled and honored to have been elected Washtenaw County Circuit Court Judge," said Kuhnke. "I hope that young people in the community will see that they can be whomever and whatever they wish to be regardless of who they love. I also hope that my election takes us closer to full equality."
There were three other races in which openly LGBT candidates ran for office, but none of them won their election bids. Kevin Howley was defeated by incumbent L. Brooks Patterson for Oakland County Executive, Ken Ross lost his bid for Circuit Court Judge in Ingham County, and Todd Heywood lost in his race for a seat on the Lansing Community College Board of Trustees.
Other LGBT judges have or are serving in Michigan, but they either were appointed or did not run as out gay candidates elected, such as Rudy Serra, Frank Arnold and William Baillargeon.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit