Arts & Entertainment
Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance Planned for Kalamazoo Community
Originally printed 11/15/2012 (Issue 2046 - Between The Lines News)
KALAMAZOO - The Kalamazoo Gay Lesbian Resource Center will recognize National Transgender Day of Remembrance Nov. 18 with a memorial, live music and poetry, a candlelight vigil and a keynote address by Arcus Center Executive Director Jaime M. Grant, Ph.D.
Grant is also lead author of "Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey." Hundreds of findings on the impact of anti-transgender bias are presented in the report - such as 90% of those surveyed reported experiencing harassment, mistreatment, or discrimination in the workplace.
Grant will showcase transgender discrimination research specific to Michigan and offer tips on what supporters can do to address it.
New this year, organizations from the Kalamazoo community will have tables where representatives will explain their services and offer information.
In addition to the KGLRC, participating community partners include Ministry with Community, YWCA, WMU Office of LBGT Student Services, OUTspoken at WMU and Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership. Additional reservations for tables are available and should be made by Nov. 12 by calling the KGLRC.
KGLRC is seeking volunteers for the event, particularly individuals with backstage lighting and sound experience and phonetic fluency in Spanish or Portuguese. For more information about the event or to volunteer, visit www.KGLRC.org or contact David Topping, program coordinator at 269-349-4234.
- State Of Affairs: Crisis In Prevention For Gay Community
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Options
- Detroit Art Scene Shines Every 3rd Thursday
- Affirmations Helpline Revamped
- State Rep. Candidate Jeremy Moss
- DTMC Christmas Concert Dec. 14
- Gala Kicks Off The Season
- Ruth Ellis Bio-pic To Be Screened At Center
- State Of Affairs: Funding Of HIV Programs In Jeopardy
- World AIDS Day Commemorated In Michigan Events
- Eight Michigan Cities Included In HRC Municpal Equality Index
- Michigan 31: Trenton Passes Human Rights Ordinance
- Transgender Day Of Remembrance Lists 242 Killed
- How To Survive A Plague Comes To PBS
- Hope And Understanding For 'Unstably Housed' Youth
- Executive Director For Affirmations Dave Garcia Announces Departure
- Transgender Woman Murdered in Detroit
- Justice For Shelly: Civil Rights Complaint Filed Against Police In Gruesome Murder
- KICK Health Expo Discussions Go Beyond The Basics
- Transgender Workers Are At A High Risk Of Unemployment And Poverty