Arts & Entertainment
Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance Planned for Kalamazoo Community
Originally printed 11/15/2012 (Issue 2046 - Between The Lines News)
KALAMAZOO - The Kalamazoo Gay Lesbian Resource Center will recognize National Transgender Day of Remembrance Nov. 18 with a memorial, live music and poetry, a candlelight vigil and a keynote address by Arcus Center Executive Director Jaime M. Grant, Ph.D.
Grant is also lead author of "Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey." Hundreds of findings on the impact of anti-transgender bias are presented in the report - such as 90% of those surveyed reported experiencing harassment, mistreatment, or discrimination in the workplace.
Grant will showcase transgender discrimination research specific to Michigan and offer tips on what supporters can do to address it.
New this year, organizations from the Kalamazoo community will have tables where representatives will explain their services and offer information.
In addition to the KGLRC, participating community partners include Ministry with Community, YWCA, WMU Office of LBGT Student Services, OUTspoken at WMU and Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership. Additional reservations for tables are available and should be made by Nov. 12 by calling the KGLRC.
KGLRC is seeking volunteers for the event, particularly individuals with backstage lighting and sound experience and phonetic fluency in Spanish or Portuguese. For more information about the event or to volunteer, visit www.KGLRC.org or contact David Topping, program coordinator at 269-349-4234.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show