Arts & Entertainment
Ali Forney Center For LGBT Youth Drop-In Center Destroyed By Hurricane Sandy
Originally printed 11/8/2012 (Issue 2045 - Between The Lines News)
NEW YORK, NY -
Hurricane Sandy has destroyed the interior of the Ali Forney Center for LGBT youth's drop-in center in Chelsea, Manhattan in New York City.
The Ali Forney Center is a non-profit agency committed to providing LGBTQ youth with a safe, dignified and nurturing environment where their needs can be met, and where they can begin to put their lives back together.
According to Executive Director of the AFC, Carl Siciliano, the water level reached four feet high, destroying phones, computers, refrigerators, food and supplies.
"Our worst fears (have been) realized," says Siciliano. "I do not see us being able to return (to the drop-in center), especially since our lease is finished at the end of January.
"This facility provided care to the most vulnerable youth served by AFC, those stranded out on the streets awaiting shelter. While our new 24-hour drop-in center will open as planned in a different location, it will not be ready for full service for several months."
Fortunately, according to Siciliano, the center's eight housing sites were undamaged and its residents were kept safe through the storm.
"We are pursuing every means possible to take care of our youth in the interim. The LGBT Community Center has graciously offered us the use of its space, and we are currently evaluating this option."
Donations to the AFC can be made at http://www.Aliforneycenter.org/hurricanesandy.
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah