Arts & Entertainment
Ali Forney Center For LGBT Youth Drop-In Center Destroyed By Hurricane Sandy
Originally printed 11/8/2012 (Issue 2045 - Between The Lines News)
NEW YORK, NY -
Hurricane Sandy has destroyed the interior of the Ali Forney Center for LGBT youth's drop-in center in Chelsea, Manhattan in New York City.
The Ali Forney Center is a non-profit agency committed to providing LGBTQ youth with a safe, dignified and nurturing environment where their needs can be met, and where they can begin to put their lives back together.
According to Executive Director of the AFC, Carl Siciliano, the water level reached four feet high, destroying phones, computers, refrigerators, food and supplies.
"Our worst fears (have been) realized," says Siciliano. "I do not see us being able to return (to the drop-in center), especially since our lease is finished at the end of January.
"This facility provided care to the most vulnerable youth served by AFC, those stranded out on the streets awaiting shelter. While our new 24-hour drop-in center will open as planned in a different location, it will not be ready for full service for several months."
Fortunately, according to Siciliano, the center's eight housing sites were undamaged and its residents were kept safe through the storm.
"We are pursuing every means possible to take care of our youth in the interim. The LGBT Community Center has graciously offered us the use of its space, and we are currently evaluating this option."
Donations to the AFC can be made at http://www.Aliforneycenter.org/hurricanesandy.
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- N.J. School Allows Trans Girl To Attend As Herself
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Lambda Legal Sues On Behalf Of Veteran Same-Sex Spouses
- Uzo Aduba Wins Emmy For Crazy Eyes
- Memorial Service Held for Trans Woman Killed In Baltimore
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- 13-Year-Old Trans Girl Banned From School
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah
- Reagan Aide Says Disney Has Gay Agenda
- Texas Values President Loses Wife
- California Considers Gender Neutral Birth Certificate Language
- Texas Legislators Link Incest And Pedophilia To Same-Sex Marriage
- American Bar Association Endorses LGBT NonDiscrim Protections
- Highlights Of Love And Commitment From Aug. 5 Rally In Ohio
- Energy Rises In Cincinnati Streets Just Before 6th Circuit Hearing