'Shower of Stoles' Exhibit Reminder of Painful Discrimination
Collection Pays Tribute to Defrocked LGBT Church Members
by Crystal A. Proxmire
Originally printed 11/8/2012 (Issue 2045 - Between The Lines News)
The stole is a religious symbol in many faiths, identifying someone as clergy or somehow otherwise part of congregational services. But for those who have either been forced to leave their churches, or did not feel wanted there because of their same-sex attraction, giving up the stole can be an emotional and difficult choice.
The Stoles Project began in 1995 as a tribute to de-frocked ministers, pastors, musicians and others in the church. Since that time over 1,000 liturgical stoles from 26 denominations in six countries have been collected.
The collection tours the country, with dozens of stoles displayed to remind people about the sacrifice LGBT people have had to make when forced to choose between the rules of their faith that conflict with the feelings they have in their own hearts. The exhibition will be at Affirmations Community Center from Nov. 8 - 18, and on Nov. 15 there will be a special presentation by Rev. Cheryl L. Burke, an East Lansing-based Associate Conference Minister for the Michigan Conference of the United Church of Christ.
Burke joined the UCC after several years as an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church, where she kept her personal relationship in the closet. "After five years of 'hiding,' something new began to stir in me. After a year of discernment, First Congregational UCC, Huntington, West Virginia extended a call to me, and my journey as an 'out' lesbian in the United Church of Christ began. I received ordained ministerial standing in 1995," Burke told the Stole Project.
Burke hung up her Presbyterian stole and openly joined the UCC. With her entire spirit embraced and affirmed, Burke continued to serve her religious calling. She was ordained in 1995 and has served as interim pastor at First Congregational UCC in Madison, Wisconsin, interim Association Minister for the Chicago Metropolitan Association, and in 2005 she began serving as an Associate Conference Minister in the Michigan Conference.
She and her partner, Rev. Dr. Julie Kilmer, who is also ordained through UCC, had a union service in 1998. Her stole from her closeted Presbyterian days is among those in the Shower of Stoles project, which will be on display.
Shower of Stoles helps to honor those who have given up their unaccepting faith in favor of faiths that are accepting, or no faith at all and it also demonstrates the tremendous loss of church leadership because of LGBT discrimination.
The project is being brought in by the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion, an organization that has worked on many civil rights issues over the years.
The event is free and open to the public, but RSVPs are requested so that organizers can plan for refreshments. A suggested donation is welcome. Contact Kevin Hogan at the Michigan Roundtable to confirm your attendance at email@example.com.
Find out more about the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion at http://www.miroundtable.org/lgbtfaith.htm. Learn more about the Shower of Stoles Exhibit at http://www.welcomingresources.org/sosp.htm.
- Mr. LA Leather 2014 To Promote PrEP In Michigan
- Amber's Journey
- Honoring The Death Of Trans Sisters And Brothers
- Trans In Michigan? The ACLU Wants To Hear From You
- Schuette Wants State's 300 Same-Sex Marriages Voided
- Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Expansion Precarious
- Renowned Gay Writers To Visit Ann Arbor
- New MI Group Aims To Pass Fully Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
- Facebook Community Reacts To 6th Circuit Ruling
- Pay It Forward This Holiday Season
- Federal Court Rules 2011 Law Prohibiting Domestic Partner Benefits Unconstitutional
- States In 6th Circuit Request SCOTUS Review
- AT&T National 'Will Only Support Fully Inclusive Bill' On Civil Rights
- Upcoming Community Michigan LGBT Marriage Conversations
- Obituary: Ernest B. Gutierrez 'Tito'
- Attorney at Law
- Buckstad & Associates
- Orion Automotive Services Inc
- University Musical Society
- Univ. of Michigan Health System HIV/AIDS Treatment Program
- Blue Moon Videos/DVD
- BoConcept Birmingham
- Furniture Refinishing
- Old World Refinishing, LTD
- Foot Docs
- Professional Organizations
- GLSEN National
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!