Dr. Burton Fogelman
Originally printed 11/8/2012 (Issue 2045 - Between The Lines News)
Dr. Burton D. Fogelman, 67, of Cathedral City, CA, formally of Southfield, died on Nov. 4. Fogelman practiced podiatry in Detroit and Southfield for over 30 years, but his real passion was community service, in both the Jewish and secular communities, often bringing the two together.
Fogelman was one of the founders of the Motor City Business Forum and served as president of Michigan Jewish Aids Collation. In 2001, Burt was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 16th Annual Gay and Lesbian Pride Banquet and Awards Ceremony sponsored by Midwest AIDS Prevention Project, the Triangle Foundation and Affirmations Gay and Lesbian Community Center. He was the past president of the Brotherhood of Temple Beth El and was responsible for founding and running their Cuisine Committee that catered numerous Mother's Day Brunches, Confirmation Dinners, Purim Carnivals and the like.
Fogelman moved to Palm Springs, CA in 2001 where he continued his passion for community service. He served as an active board member of the Jewish Federation of the Desert, the Jewish National Fund of Palm Springs and Desert Region, Mizell Senior Center, Inland Empire HIV Planning Council and Temple Isaiah, and was a regular volunteer at the Desert Aids Project and AIDS Assistance Program. He founded SHALOM: a group designed to bring together Jewish gays and lesbians to celebrate their common cultural heritage. Many new transplants to the desert, Jewish or secular, gay or straight, found themselves for dinner or a barbecue in the welcoming home of Burt and his partner Don. "Our father was proud of his Jewish heritage and was welcoming of people of all walks of life...making people feel welcome was his gift," said his three children in a written statement.
In 2006, Burt was recognized for his years of service and his commitment to his community with the "Partners for Life" award at the Desert AIDS Project's 12th annual Steve Chase Humanitarian Awards, the largest fundraising event in the desert.
He is survived by his partner of 22 years Donald Crouse, his mother Goldie Fogelman of Southfield, MI and his three children, Marlo of Boston, MA; Randall of Detroit, MI; and Ryan (Aimee) of Columbus, OH. He was the proud Zede of Olivia (7) and Layla (5) of Columbus, OH. Fogelman was the devoted son of the late Max Fogelman and the brother of the late Denise Fogelman and the late David Fogelman.
Contributions can be made to a fund being created in his name at the Mizell Senior Center in Palm Springs http://www.mizellseniorcenter.org. Interment took place at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Cathedral City, CA. Those that wish to honor the life of Dr. Burton Fogelman are welcome to attend a memorial service in his honor at Temple Beth El in Birmingham, MI Nov. 10 at 5:30 p.m..
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Supporters of DieselTec - GALLERY
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services
- People's Food Co-op and Bakery
- Computer Services
- Concise Computer Consulting Inc.
- Florists/Floral Design
- D.J. Murray Plumbing
- Sizemore Selectives
- Real Estate/Agent
- Keller Williiams Real Estate
- The LindaLom Team at Trillium Real Estate
- Religious & Spiritual
- Central United Methodist Church
- Fisher Theatre
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!