MI-GOAL Announces 'LGBT Professional And Allies Of The Year'
Originally printed 11/8/2012 (Issue 2045 - Between The Lines News)
The Michigan Gay Officers Action League (MI-GOAL) has announced the 2012 recipients of its annual "LGBT Professional" and LGBT Ally of the Year" awards.
MI-GOAL was established in 2010 and is an affiliate chapter of LEGAL International. MI-GOAL exists to advocate for the equal treatment of Michigan's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender law enforcement, public safety, corrections and criminal justice professionals, and their non-gay allies.
This year's awards are in recognition of a collaborative initiative between the Ingham Co. Sheriff's Office (ICSO) and MI-GOAL - developing and launching an agency training module on the subject of "Law Enforcement and the LGBT Community."
This was MIGOAL's first full-agency training initiative.
Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth and Major Joel Maatman of the Ingham County Sheriff's Office are each recognized as a MIGOAL's "LGBT Allies of the Year."
Sheriff Wriggelsworth is acknowledged for his initiative and advocacy in seeking out a mandatory training for all department staff. Major Maatman is acknowledged for his helpful collaboration with MI-GOAL in coordinating and supporting the training throughout the department.
Officer Erin Linn, a K-9 Officer with the Meridian Township Police Department, is recognized as MIGOAL's "LGBT Professional of the Year." Officer Linn is acknowledged for leading the development of the training module, and for her tireless dedication in conducting the numerous training sessions fully training the department. She is also MI-GOAL Treasurer.
In addition to general information about the community, this two-hour module explores relationships between law enforcement and LGBT people as well as law enforcement professionals working alongside their LGBT colleagues. The innovative and groundbreaking training has been certified by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards.
Sheriff Wriggelsworth reflected, "This is great training for today's law enforcement officers. I truly appreciate the efforts of MI-GOAL and their trainers in presenting this important information. Great training, long over due!"
Major Joel Maatman reported that staff reviews were very positive, and that the agency was impressed with the quality of the trainers and that a lot of good comments and questions came from the program.
MI-GOAL extends its gratitude to each of these professionals, and congratulates them on their well-deserved honor.
- Pro And Anti-LGBT Activists Hit Capitol Steps
- MiRFRA Heard Before Senate Judiciary Committee
- Legislators Call For Legal Protections For LGBT Michiganders
- Michigan's SCOTUS Courtside Campers
- Video: James Toy reflects on Marriage Equality Hearings
- State Senate Committee Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
- State Capitol Candlelight Vigil Tonight Supporting Marriage Equality
- GOP Senate Source: MiRFRA Will Have Hearing Tuesday April 28, No Vote Expected
- Oakland University To Offer Gender Studies Minor
- Michigan Womyn's Fest Says 2015 Is Last Year
- The Road After SCOTUS Decision
- Advocates And Academics Advance Equality At Inaugural 'Research To Action' Conference
- National Organizations Pull Support From Michfest Petition
- Obituary: Marvin Marks
- New Case Study to Michigan Lawmakers: 'Don't Repeat The Mistakes Of Indiana'
- Marriage Equality March Downtown Flint
- Emily Dievendorf Announces Campaign For Lansing City Council
- Dieseltec Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Controversial Anti-LGBT Mechanic Has Checkered Past
- Pro-Gay Protestors at Dieseltec - GALLERY
- Ameritax Plus
- Art Fairs
- Ann Arbor Art Fairs
- The Guild of Artists & Artisans
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- University of Michigan - Flint Ellen Bommarito LGBT Center
- Sylvia Ann Inc.
- Families and Parents
- PFLAG Clinton Township
- Financial Services
- University of Michigan
Credit Union (UMCU)
- The General Store
- J. Thomas Jewelers
- Wine Shop
- Cloverleaf Fine Wine
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Michigan House Passes Adoption Discrimination Bills
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
SOUTHFIELD - This year the BTL Ultimate LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo was held on the anniversary weekend of Judge Friedman's decision in DeBoer v. Snyder. That decision struck down Michigan's same-sex marriage ban, for less than 24 hours, allowing 323 couples to become legally married in the state.View More Marriage
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!