Arts & Entertainment
Andrew Shirvell Gets Unemployment Benefits
By BTL Staff
Originally printed 11/8/2012 (Issue 2045 - Between The Lines News)
Andrew Shirvell will get a little help paying off the $4.5 million judgment against him for defaming gay University of Michigan Student Body President Chris Armstrong in 2010 and 2011.
Shirvell was working as an Assistant Attorney General under Mike Cox when he began a quest to destroy the reputation of Armstrong. Shirvell started a blog that likened the student to "the devil" and showed up at his home and at school events to degrade him and "his homosexual agenda."
When the Attorney General's office fired Shirvell for misconduct, Shirvell filed for unemployment benefits. He was denied repeatedly in the appeals process, but finally the case landed before Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Paula Manderfield who overturned the previous judgments on Oct. 16, claiming that benefits could not be denied to someone who was expressing their first amendment right to free speech.
According to the court order, the Unemployment Insurance Agency will now have to pay for Shirvell's unemployment benefits.
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality