Moving Michigan Forward Nov. 6
By Susan Horowitz and Jan Stevenson
Originally printed 11/1/2012 (Issue 2044 - Between The Lines News)
- "All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." - Harvey Milk
On Tuesday, citizens in Michigan will go to the polls and exercise their right to vote. To help you make an informed decision, BTL has partnered with our progressive allies to offer you a comprehensive voter guide you can take with you to the polls and share widely with friends, family and co-workers.
In our lifetime, we have seen many important changes take place for LGBT people in the United States. Nearly twenty years ago, in 1993, when BTL published its first issue, we had just completed a third march on Washington, DC. with 1.1 million people participating. The LGBT community was starting to emerge on the national scene with a united voice.
In the past two decades our community has met adversity with enormous resolve and courage. In the past 4 years we have seen what it means to have a U.S. President stand with us in spite of the far-right continuing to focus its hate upon us.
The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act; was signed into law; the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell now allows our military to openly serve when defending our country; record appointments of out leaders in government have taken place; and the Affordable Health Care Act has provided tremendous support for many Americans, including those with HIV/AIDS. And these are just the highlights for the Obama administration during its first 4 years.
In addition, this past May, the President stated his unconditional support for marriage equality, affirming our civil right to marry the person we love. We unconditionally and strongly recommend that you vote for the re-election of President Barack Obama and use our comprehensive voter guide.
In addition to reelecting President Obama, we are asking you to vote down ticket for all the races in our voter guide. PLEASE pay attention to the non-partisan area of your ballot, and support our recommendations for three key Supreme Court nominees. The Michigan Supreme Court has been anti-gay and this is an opportunity to see real change in the composition of the court for the first time in years.
Here in Michigan, LGBT people have been under extreme fire from our state government. We must make an educated vote when we choose our State House of Representatives - voting for candidates that support LGBT equality, a woman's right to choose, the right to collective bargaining and believe that climate change is real and we must act to protect our environment and implement forward thinking solutions to our energy needs while protecting our planet.
The http://MIVOTERGUIDE.COM provides you with the information you need and you can take it with you to the polls this Tuesday. Please check it out right now and share this resource with your email lists wide and far.
- Impact On The Kids, Totten Talks Harms Of Same-Sex Adoption Ban
- Races To Watch On Election Night
- Pastors Declare Challenge To Civil Rights For Michigan LGBT Community
- State House Blocks HIV And Other Reproductive Health Websites From Staff
- Revealing Bigotry: Taking On Gary Glenn
- MOASH Awarded Federal Funding To Improve Outcomes For LGBT Youth In Michigan
- Marriage Equality: 'It's Coming' Say LGBT Advocates
- Richard Bernstein: The Face Of Blind Justice
- Dave Agema: Arab Fighter Pilots Are 'Camel Jockeys'
- Ally vs. Extremist: McKenzie Seeks 11th District Win
- WMU To Award LGBT Alumna At Homecoming Event
- Ann Arbor Adopts Updated Non-Discrimination Ordinance
- Upcoming Mental Health Training Is Joined By Sex Therapist
- Co-Founder Awards Substantial Gift To Equality Michigan
- Michigan Roundtable To Honor Michigan Social Justice Advocates
- LGBT Jewelry Collection Comes To Tapper's
- Mark Totten Seeks Attorney General Seat, Speaks On Schuette
- MSHDA Under Investigation, Snyder Fundraiser Raises Questions
- Launch Of The 2014 Michigan Voter Guide
- Marty Feldman Chevrolet
- Families and Parents
- Grand Rapids Alternative Families
- Foundations and Funders
- The Arcus Foundation/New York
- Manzo Eye Care
- Religious & Spiritual
- Phoenix Community Church United Church of Christ
- Ann Arbor Friends Meeting
- Social/Community Organizations
- Prime Timers Metro Detroit
- Oakland University Dept. of Music, Theatre & Dance
- Farmington Players
- Youth Services
- PLUS - People Like Us
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Annie Lennox On Her Legacy, Why Beyonce Is 'Feminist Lite'
- Q&A: Getting To The Core Of Nick Jonas: Abs, Album & That Gay Striptease 'They Made Me Do'
- Q&A: Lisa Kudrow On Judging 'Drag Race' (As Valerie Cherish!) & Gays Being Biologically 'Superhuman'
- GOP Hopeful Wants 'Christians' Fleeing MI If Gays Get Civil Rights
- Creep of the Week: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
MICHIGAN - A recent study by Affirmations Community Center and the Kalamazoo Gay and Lesbian Resource Center, funded by the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH), facilitated eight focus groups with LGBT-identified individuals that helps shed light on tobacco use within the LGBT community.View More Health and Wellness
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!