Moving Michigan Forward Nov. 6
By Susan Horowitz and Jan Stevenson
Originally printed 11/1/2012 (Issue 2044 - Between The Lines News)
- "All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." - Harvey Milk
On Tuesday, citizens in Michigan will go to the polls and exercise their right to vote. To help you make an informed decision, BTL has partnered with our progressive allies to offer you a comprehensive voter guide you can take with you to the polls and share widely with friends, family and co-workers.
In our lifetime, we have seen many important changes take place for LGBT people in the United States. Nearly twenty years ago, in 1993, when BTL published its first issue, we had just completed a third march on Washington, DC. with 1.1 million people participating. The LGBT community was starting to emerge on the national scene with a united voice.
In the past two decades our community has met adversity with enormous resolve and courage. In the past 4 years we have seen what it means to have a U.S. President stand with us in spite of the far-right continuing to focus its hate upon us.
The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act; was signed into law; the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell now allows our military to openly serve when defending our country; record appointments of out leaders in government have taken place; and the Affordable Health Care Act has provided tremendous support for many Americans, including those with HIV/AIDS. And these are just the highlights for the Obama administration during its first 4 years.
In addition, this past May, the President stated his unconditional support for marriage equality, affirming our civil right to marry the person we love. We unconditionally and strongly recommend that you vote for the re-election of President Barack Obama and use our comprehensive voter guide.
In addition to reelecting President Obama, we are asking you to vote down ticket for all the races in our voter guide. PLEASE pay attention to the non-partisan area of your ballot, and support our recommendations for three key Supreme Court nominees. The Michigan Supreme Court has been anti-gay and this is an opportunity to see real change in the composition of the court for the first time in years.
Here in Michigan, LGBT people have been under extreme fire from our state government. We must make an educated vote when we choose our State House of Representatives - voting for candidates that support LGBT equality, a woman's right to choose, the right to collective bargaining and believe that climate change is real and we must act to protect our environment and implement forward thinking solutions to our energy needs while protecting our planet.
The http://MIVOTERGUIDE.COM provides you with the information you need and you can take it with you to the polls this Tuesday. Please check it out right now and share this resource with your email lists wide and far.
- A Remembrance: Robert Clark
- New LGBT Tobacco Disparity Report For Michigan Released
- Representation: Trans Activism In Michigan Lame Duck
- Between Bass And Treble: An Alto Story
- Local Gatherings Against MiRFRA
- Call To Action: Petition Seeks To Stop MIRFRA
- Top Faith Leaders Discuss Religious Freedom, LGBT Inclusion
- The First Trans Helpline In USA Is In Michigan
- LGBT Judge To Speak At Ann Arbor Interfaith Service
- Gay Therapist Discusses Sexualities Of LGBT And Straight Men In New Book
- Affirmations Seeks LGBTQ-Friendly Healthcare Providers
- Ruth Ellis Center Celebrates 15 Years Serving LGBTQ Youth
- The Rise Of 'License To Discriminate'; The Failure Of LGBT Civil Rights
- State Civil Rights Amendment Dead, Says Speaker
- WCC Expands LGBT Protections
- PrEP Debate Continues As Advocates Hold Conversations In State
- 'KICK' Off The Holidays With Annual Gala In Detroit
- Foster Children's Charity Collecting New Toys, Gifts For Holiday Bazaar
- Right Reverend Wendell Gibbs To Speak On Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Hosts Information Session On LGBT Foster Parenting And Adoption
- Mission Point Resort
- Fairlane Ford
- Campus; Student and Alumni Groups
- Northern Michigan University Gay/Lesbian Multicultural Resource Center
- Event Designer
- Bill Hamilton Design
- Hotlines & Switchboards
- Flint Crisis Line
- Christopher's Landscaping
- Massage Therapy
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Religious & Spiritual
- Christ the King Catholic Church
- Substance Abuse, HIV Counseling and Testing
- Institute for Population Health
- Jewish Ensemble Theatre
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- Creep of the Week: The Duggars
- Being Young & Coming Out To Bette Midler
- The Long Shot Move To Pass Inclusive Civil Rights Amendment
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!