Moving Michigan Forward Nov. 6
By Susan Horowitz and Jan Stevenson
Originally printed 11/1/2012 (Issue 2044 - Between The Lines News)
- "All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." - Harvey Milk
On Tuesday, citizens in Michigan will go to the polls and exercise their right to vote. To help you make an informed decision, BTL has partnered with our progressive allies to offer you a comprehensive voter guide you can take with you to the polls and share widely with friends, family and co-workers.
In our lifetime, we have seen many important changes take place for LGBT people in the United States. Nearly twenty years ago, in 1993, when BTL published its first issue, we had just completed a third march on Washington, DC. with 1.1 million people participating. The LGBT community was starting to emerge on the national scene with a united voice.
In the past two decades our community has met adversity with enormous resolve and courage. In the past 4 years we have seen what it means to have a U.S. President stand with us in spite of the far-right continuing to focus its hate upon us.
The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act; was signed into law; the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell now allows our military to openly serve when defending our country; record appointments of out leaders in government have taken place; and the Affordable Health Care Act has provided tremendous support for many Americans, including those with HIV/AIDS. And these are just the highlights for the Obama administration during its first 4 years.
In addition, this past May, the President stated his unconditional support for marriage equality, affirming our civil right to marry the person we love. We unconditionally and strongly recommend that you vote for the re-election of President Barack Obama and use our comprehensive voter guide.
In addition to reelecting President Obama, we are asking you to vote down ticket for all the races in our voter guide. PLEASE pay attention to the non-partisan area of your ballot, and support our recommendations for three key Supreme Court nominees. The Michigan Supreme Court has been anti-gay and this is an opportunity to see real change in the composition of the court for the first time in years.
Here in Michigan, LGBT people have been under extreme fire from our state government. We must make an educated vote when we choose our State House of Representatives - voting for candidates that support LGBT equality, a woman's right to choose, the right to collective bargaining and believe that climate change is real and we must act to protect our environment and implement forward thinking solutions to our energy needs while protecting our planet.
The http://MIVOTERGUIDE.COM provides you with the information you need and you can take it with you to the polls this Tuesday. Please check it out right now and share this resource with your email lists wide and far.
- Mich. Dems Push Elliott-Larsen Amendment In House And Senate
- Pregnant Lesbian Fired From Catholic School
- Walking With HIV: Sponsoring Acceptance
- Black LGBT Church Founder Celebrates In Detroit
- Gender Neutral Bathrooms May Come To Detroit
- Inclusive Congregation Celebrates National Coming Out Day
- Hearing Voices: Ruth Ellis Center's 15th Anniversary Raises Awareness and Funds
- Detroit Leadership Class Welcomes Affirmations' Director Of Programs
- Equality Michigan and Connect2Protect Fundraise For Gender Neutral Bathrooms In Detroit
- New AIDS Partnership Michigan Coordinator To Tackle HIV, MSM Stigma For Detroit Agency
- Gays Against Gary Glenn
- AIDS Walk Locations
- MY Consent Day Empowers Michigan Youth, LGBT Survivors Of Assault
- Thomas's Catering
- Anchor Fence Company
- Furniture Refinishing
- Old World Refinishing, LTD
- Legal Organizations
- Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund, Midwest Regional Office
- Music Groups
- Equality Band of Michigan
- Real Estate/Agent
- Coldwell Banker Weir Manuel
- Religious & Spiritual
- Reconciliation Metropolitan Community Church
- Detroit Snob
- Transgender Groups/Services
- Transgender Michigan
- President Tuxedo
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- Q&A: Bill Hader Talks Gay Kisses ('Paul Rudd Tastes Like Chicken') & Trans Sketch ('Sorry')
- Barbra Streisand's Duet With Gay Son Is Highlight Of New Album
- Equality Michigan Stands With Allies: Seeking Full Inclusion
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
CHELSEA - Following a path that has taken her from working in civil rights in the big metropolis of New York City to owning dozens of sheep, chickens, pigs and other rowdy farm animals, Angie Martell seeks a full life of balance and tranquility.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!