Moving Michigan Forward Nov. 6
By Susan Horowitz and Jan Stevenson
Originally printed 11/1/2012 (Issue 2044 - Between The Lines News)
- "All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." - Harvey Milk
On Tuesday, citizens in Michigan will go to the polls and exercise their right to vote. To help you make an informed decision, BTL has partnered with our progressive allies to offer you a comprehensive voter guide you can take with you to the polls and share widely with friends, family and co-workers.
In our lifetime, we have seen many important changes take place for LGBT people in the United States. Nearly twenty years ago, in 1993, when BTL published its first issue, we had just completed a third march on Washington, DC. with 1.1 million people participating. The LGBT community was starting to emerge on the national scene with a united voice.
In the past two decades our community has met adversity with enormous resolve and courage. In the past 4 years we have seen what it means to have a U.S. President stand with us in spite of the far-right continuing to focus its hate upon us.
The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act; was signed into law; the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell now allows our military to openly serve when defending our country; record appointments of out leaders in government have taken place; and the Affordable Health Care Act has provided tremendous support for many Americans, including those with HIV/AIDS. And these are just the highlights for the Obama administration during its first 4 years.
In addition, this past May, the President stated his unconditional support for marriage equality, affirming our civil right to marry the person we love. We unconditionally and strongly recommend that you vote for the re-election of President Barack Obama and use our comprehensive voter guide.
In addition to reelecting President Obama, we are asking you to vote down ticket for all the races in our voter guide. PLEASE pay attention to the non-partisan area of your ballot, and support our recommendations for three key Supreme Court nominees. The Michigan Supreme Court has been anti-gay and this is an opportunity to see real change in the composition of the court for the first time in years.
Here in Michigan, LGBT people have been under extreme fire from our state government. We must make an educated vote when we choose our State House of Representatives - voting for candidates that support LGBT equality, a woman's right to choose, the right to collective bargaining and believe that climate change is real and we must act to protect our environment and implement forward thinking solutions to our energy needs while protecting our planet.
The http://MIVOTERGUIDE.COM provides you with the information you need and you can take it with you to the polls this Tuesday. Please check it out right now and share this resource with your email lists wide and far.
- Same-Sex Marriage Goes To The Supreme Court
- U.S. Syphilis Rates Increased By 10 Percent In 2013
- Controversy Over UMS Award To Russian Orchestra
- Equality Michigan Accepting Applications For Internships
- Ferndale Pride Seeks Sponsors And Vendors
- Attention Michigan LGBT Career Seekers
- Filmmaker To Speak On LGBT, Black Intersectionality
- Warren To Speak At Upcoming ELCRA Panel
- Become A Vendor At LGBT Wedding Expo
- SCOTUS To Hear Same-Sex Marriage Cases In Historic Decision
- Marriage Of 300 Same-Sex Couples Ruled Valid In Michigan
- Fostering Children Only Temporary Bandage To Same-Sex Adoption Restrictions In Michigan
- Lesbian Fights For Custody Rights Of Children
- From Selma To Detroit And The Importance Of Intersectionality
- Local Jewish Author Highlights Dangers Of Police Discrimination
- AIDS/HIV Hotlines
- Michigan HIV/STD Hotline
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- The NAMES Project Foundation Michigan Chapter
- Cabrini Clinic
- Bentley Historical Library
- Community Centers
- Thrive Therapy Group, PC
- Three Chairs Company
- Gutter Guard Systems
- LeafFilter North of Michigan Inc.
- Heating & Cooling
- Otto A. Trzos Company
- Pet Day Care
- Camp Bow Wow Brighton
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Kathy Griffin Reveals Death-Related Talk With Joan Rivers, Plans To Get Fired From 'Fashion Police' & Cher's Health
- Missing Person Found In Metro Detroit
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- EXCLUSIVE! Gwen Stefani On Why She Paints Her Boys' Nails, Meeting Gays 'Late In Life' & Her (Lack Of) Girl Crushes
- Q&A: Harvey Fierstein Opens Up On The Success Of 'Kinky Boots,' His 'Legendary Disaster' & 'Insulting' Double Standards
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!