Arts & Entertainment
New Study: Knights of Columbus Spent $15.8 Million to Deny the Freedom to Marry
Originally printed 10/25/2012 (Issue 2043 - Between The Lines News)
NEW YORK -
On Oct. 18 Equally Blessed, a coalition of Catholic organizations working toward equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their families, released a report showing that the Knights of Columbus has spent more than $15.8 million fighting against marriage for committed same-sex couples since 2005.
That funding includes $1.9 million to the National Organization for Marriage, which uses divisive tactics and deceptive messages to intimidate lawmakers and frighten voters, including a strategy to "drive a wedge between gays and blacks."
"At a time when bishops are shutting down hospitals, homeless shelters, and even parish churches, it's hard to understand how an organization that says it's dedicated to 'charity, unity, fraternity and patriotism' couldn't think of a better use for $15.8 million than to deny the freedom to marry for so many Americans. This spending not only violates the golden rule, but is out of step with the point of view of the solid majority of American Catholics who like most Americans support the freedom to marry."
Fifty-nine percent of American Catholics support the freedom to marry, according to a Wall Street Journal/NBC poll and a Public Religion Research Institute, both released in March.
The funds that the Knights of Columbus has chosen to divert into attacks on the freedom to marry could have purchased 105,333 wheelchairs for its Global Wheelchair Mission, 972,307 coats for its Coats for Kids program, or 5,873,606 meals through its Food for Families program.
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- N.J. School Allows Trans Girl To Attend As Herself
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Lambda Legal Sues On Behalf Of Veteran Same-Sex Spouses
- Uzo Aduba Wins Emmy For Crazy Eyes
- Memorial Service Held for Trans Woman Killed In Baltimore
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- 13-Year-Old Trans Girl Banned From School
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah
- Reagan Aide Says Disney Has Gay Agenda
- Texas Values President Loses Wife
- California Considers Gender Neutral Birth Certificate Language
- Texas Legislators Link Incest And Pedophilia To Same-Sex Marriage
- American Bar Association Endorses LGBT NonDiscrim Protections
- Highlights Of Love And Commitment From Aug. 5 Rally In Ohio
- Energy Rises In Cincinnati Streets Just Before 6th Circuit Hearing