Arts & Entertainment
Transgender Health Fair Coming Up
By Crystal A. Proxmire
Originally printed 9/13/2012 (Issue 2037 - Between The Lines News)
As cultural acceptance grows for people across the transgender spectrum, so does the need for information and access to healthcare. That's why Transgender Michigan is hosting the third annual Transgender Health Fair on Sept. 22 at Affirmations Community Center from 1 to 4 pm.
The event features exhibits, vendors, speakers and a panel discussion with professionals who understand the unique healthcare needs of transgender people. Those in transition can learn about hormone options, surgeries, mental health care, and other health care topics. There will also be free health screenings, including HIV testing, testing for other STDs, blood pressure checks and more.
"The vendors will be really helpful and comfortable answering questions from people in the transgender community," said Jon Webber, program services coordinator at Transgender Michigan. "It's a great place to find resources that are trans friendly, and care that is accessible and welcoming."
Webber said over 150 people attended last year's event.
Rachel Crandall, co-founder of Transgender Michigan said the event helps a lot of people. "There are trans people who have not seen doctors in a while, or may not be happy with the doctor they have now. This is a chance to meet new doctors, counselors and service providers." Crandall will also be speaking on a panel at the end of the event along with others who are well-versed in transgender health issues.
There is still room for additional presenters and vendors as well as a need for volunteers. For more information go to http://transgendermichigan.givezooks.com/events/hf2012.For more information visit http://www.transgendermichigan.com.
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality