Arts & Entertainment
Transgender Health Fair Coming Up
By Crystal A. Proxmire
Originally printed 9/13/2012 (Issue 2037 - Between The Lines News)
As cultural acceptance grows for people across the transgender spectrum, so does the need for information and access to healthcare. That's why Transgender Michigan is hosting the third annual Transgender Health Fair on Sept. 22 at Affirmations Community Center from 1 to 4 pm.
The event features exhibits, vendors, speakers and a panel discussion with professionals who understand the unique healthcare needs of transgender people. Those in transition can learn about hormone options, surgeries, mental health care, and other health care topics. There will also be free health screenings, including HIV testing, testing for other STDs, blood pressure checks and more.
"The vendors will be really helpful and comfortable answering questions from people in the transgender community," said Jon Webber, program services coordinator at Transgender Michigan. "It's a great place to find resources that are trans friendly, and care that is accessible and welcoming."
Webber said over 150 people attended last year's event.
Rachel Crandall, co-founder of Transgender Michigan said the event helps a lot of people. "There are trans people who have not seen doctors in a while, or may not be happy with the doctor they have now. This is a chance to meet new doctors, counselors and service providers." Crandall will also be speaking on a panel at the end of the event along with others who are well-versed in transgender health issues.
There is still room for additional presenters and vendors as well as a need for volunteers. For more information go to http://transgendermichigan.givezooks.com/events/hf2012.For more information visit http://www.transgendermichigan.com.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit