Arts & Entertainment
Hunger Strike: First Seven Days
Originally printed 8/9/2012 (Issue 2032 - Between The Lines News)
Affirmations Executive Director Dave Garcia - Monday, July 30
"Michigan is the Mississippi of the civil rights movement when it comes to gay equality. We need to do a better job educating everyone about the extreme anti-equality environment in this state, so things can begin to change."
Kalamazoo Lesbian & Gay Resource Center Executive Director Zach Bauer - Tuesday, Aug 1
"it's all about "bringing awareness to the allied community. Lots of people believe in equal rights for LGBT folks, but they don't know we can be fired for being gay, or that we can't adopt, or that a hard working gay person can be fired from their job just because they are gay."
Affirmations Kat LaTosch - Wednesday, Aug 2
"I decided to strike because every day I run into people who, though supportive of equal rights, are surprised that gay people can legally be fired in Michigan. Even gay people don't know! People just don't realize how bad Michigan has become on equal rights. If they knew, they'd act. I wanted to do my part to help raise their awareness."
KICK-Detroit Executive Director Curtis Lipscomb - Thursday, Aug 3
"I am Hungry 4 Equality and I am striking because I want Michigan to be safe for our families."
The Network (Grand Rapids) Executive Director Pat Ward - Friday, Aug 4
"When I joined the Community Center Network group this is exactly what I thought we should be doing. Most states are lucky to even have one community center. In Michigan there are so many, and now we can influence representatives as a solid front."
Jim Toy Community Center Board President Terry McGinn - Saturday, Aug 5
"It's not enough to accept your LGBT acquaintances and loved ones, you need to actively work for their fair and equal treatment under the law."
Detroit Latinos Ray Magdaleno - Sunday, Aug 6
"(Striking) was amazing. Very uplifting to see families walk by and stop and read the signs, genuinely interested in what they were reading."
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality
- Affirmations Recognizes Outstanding LGBTs, Allies at Silver Jubilee
- Michigan Leaders React To Feds Recognition Of Marriages
- ENDA Lobbying Comes to Michigan
- Transgender Day of Visibility Now World Wide
- White Nationalist Group Files Brief Supporting AG's Appeal In Marriage Ruling
- Sixth Circuit Continues Stay
- Michigan Marriage Ban Struck Down
- New LGBT-run Bakery Brings Organic Goodies to Detroit
- Elected Officials, Advocates Petition Schuette To Drop Marriage Aappeal
- Michigan Makes History With First Marriages
- Discredited Witness Part Of Right-Wing Cabal
- Schauer Celebrates Overturn Of Michigan Marriage Ban