Arts & Entertainment
Protest performance of Vagina Monologues will be held on Michigan Capitol steps June 18
Press release by the Michigan Democratic Party
Originally printed 6/14/2012 (Issue 2024 - Between The Lines News)
On Monday, June 18, Michigan Senators and Representatives will be joined by Tony Award winning playwright and V-Day Founder/Artistic Director Eve Ensler, as well as local activists and actors, for a special performance of Ensler's award winning play "The Vagina Monologues" on the Michigan Capitol steps. The performance, which will take place between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., is part of an organized response to the recent banning of Michigan State Rep. Lisa Brown from publicly speaking on the House floor.
On June 14, Rep. Brown was banned by Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas and House Republicans, for using the word "vagina" during a debate on a bill that puts new restrictions on abortion providers. Brown, who voted against the legislation, told supporters of the bill, "I'm flattered you're all so concerned about my vagina. But no means no."
Sen. Democratic Leader Gretchen Whitmer (D- East Lansing), Sen. Rebekah Warren (D-Ann Arbor), Rep. Barb Byrum (D- Onondaga), Rep. Stacy Erwin Oakes (D-Saginaw), Rep. Dian Slavens (D- Canton Township), Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D- Detroit), Rep. Lisa Brown (D-West Bloomfield), Rep. Vicki Barnett (D-Farmington Hills), and Rep. Joan Bauer (D-Lansing) will perform along with Ensler and local actors.
Local and state activists, as well as actors, have also signed on to perform and protest. Over the past 14 years, V-Day has mobilized activists from more than 140 countries and worked tirelessly on a grassroots level to demand an end to all forms of violence against women and girls. This latest action in Michigan will call on the many college and community V-Day organizers in the area to step up and let the House Republicans know that banning 'vagina' is not acceptable.
Activists and women who would like to get involved can contact Valerie Keefe who will provide further information. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 517-316-6420. There is also a Facebook event page for the event. Please RSVP and invite your friends.
We hope to see you there!
Michigan Democratic Party Fundraiser
- State Rep. Zemke Chats With Craig Fahle About Conversion Therapy Bill
- Hotter Than July Conference Focuses On Past, Future Of Detroit's African American LGBT Community
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Equality Michigan Starts Petition To Change Michfest Trans Exclusion Policy
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned