Pride Commitment Ceremony planned at Motor City Pride
Originally printed 5/24/2012 (Issue 2021 - Between The Lines News)
Affirmations Community Center and Metropolitan Community Church of Detroit (MCCD) are partnering for the 2012 Pride Commitment Ceremony which will be held during Motor City Pride. The ceremony will take place on Saturday, June 2 from 2 p.m.-3 p.m. at the main stage in Hart Plaza. This will be an opportunity for LGBT couples to publically announce their love and commitment as well as apply pressure on legislatures to stand up for equal rights.
"This is a really great opportunity for committed couples to publicly express their love for one another in such a proud way," said Megh
Hollowell, program coordinator at Affirmations. "Following the
President's announcement supporting gay marriage makes this year's
event especially rewarding."
In additional to the ceremony, each couple will receive flowers, photos from the ceremony, wedding cake, two notarized and embossed certificates declaring Domestic Partnership and a 2.5-hour couple's preparation workshop at MCCD on May 30 from 7 p.m.- 9 p.m. The cost is $100
and you can register in-person at Affirmations or MCCD, or
online at http://www.GoAffirmations.org/prideceremony. For more information
please contact Megh Hollowell at 248-398-7105 or email her at
- UPDATE: Suspected LGBT Killer In Metro Detroit Caught
- Upper Peninsula Celebrates First LGBT Pride Fest
- Schauer Leaves His Mark On Michigan Pride
- GAGG And LGBT: Gearing Up For November
- Affirmations Resumes Search For New Executive Director
- Michigan Education Groups Call For LGBT Rights
- GALLERY: Mark Schauer Joins Equality Rally In Lansing
- Arguments For Right To Stay Married Heard In Caspar v Snyder
- Michigan: A Brief Timeline of LGBT Milestones In the Capital City
- Mental Health Providers Access Latest Training On LGBT Clinical Issues
- Local Residents Sign-On For Right To Discriminate
- Extending Marriage To Same-Sex Couples Could Add Millions To Michigan's Economy
- Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- Ann Arbor Cat Clinic
- Humane Society of Huron Valley
- Washtenaw Veterinary Hospital
- Visitors Bureau
- Ypsilanti Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Women's Health
- Planned Parenthood Mid and South Michigan
- Men's Yoga
- Youth Services
- Neutral Zone
- The Corner Health Center - Young Adult Health Center
- Ozone House Youth and Family Services
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Feds Give Spring Arbor University Permission To Discriminate Against LGBT Community
- Q&A: Panic! Frontman Talks Westboro Protest: 'It Was Pathetic'
- Michfest Responds: We Have a Few Demands Of Our Own
- Q&A: Jennifer Hudson On Lesbian Rumors & Drag Queen Attitude: 'I Don't Care What You Think'
- Viewpoint:Why Trans Exclusion at Michfest Must Finally End
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
"The Ghosts in Our Machine" is a powerful 2013 feature documentary about animal rights, made accessible through the photos and personal journey of well-known international photographer Jo-Anne McArthur and lesbian filmmaker Liz Marshall.
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!