Arts & Entertainment
Conference to explore sexuality and gender issues in education
Originally printed 11/17/2011 (Issue 1946 - Between The Lines News)
Oakland University's School of Education and Human Services' Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Initiative Task Force will hold the first ever-statewide conference on sexuality and gender issues in education. This one-day conference will be held on Friday, Feb. 3, 2012 at Oakland University in Rochester.
The conference goals include promoting preK-12/university dialogue about important issues involving sexual orientation and gender identity in schools, including representing the numerous community-based organizations supporting the LGBTQQI community. Organizers will provide preK-12 teachers and administrators with opportunities to inform and influence how schools and colleges of education are preparing pre-service teachers and administrators to effectively address these areas.
The conference will bring together community agencies, preK-12 practitioners (including staff, faculty and administrators), and faculty and administrators from teacher education programs across the state to engage in interactive dialogue about ways to work together to support individual and collaborative efforts to create safe and inclusive schools for all students, staff, faculty and administrators, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or gender expression.
Organizers are encouraging input and will accept all proposals submitted by Nov. 30. Though everyone is welcome, we are particularly seeking input from community agencies, as well as preK-12 practitioners at all levels that can share the effective practices they have in place, and the effective policies they have developed and/or adopted. You can keep up with the planning progress at http://www.oakland.edu/sogi and/or follow on Twitter @OUSOGI, hashtag: #SOGICON.
- Hotter Than July Conference Focuses On Past, Future Of Detroit's African American LGBT Community
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Equality Michigan Starts Petition To Change Michfest Trans Exclusion Policy
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns
- Hotter Than July Film Festival In Midtown
- Diverse Support For Same-Sex Couples In Michigan's Marriage Ban Challenge