Arts & Entertainment
Conference to explore sexuality and gender issues in education
Originally printed 11/17/2011 (Issue 1946 - Between The Lines News)
Oakland University's School of Education and Human Services' Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Initiative Task Force will hold the first ever-statewide conference on sexuality and gender issues in education. This one-day conference will be held on Friday, Feb. 3, 2012 at Oakland University in Rochester.
The conference goals include promoting preK-12/university dialogue about important issues involving sexual orientation and gender identity in schools, including representing the numerous community-based organizations supporting the LGBTQQI community. Organizers will provide preK-12 teachers and administrators with opportunities to inform and influence how schools and colleges of education are preparing pre-service teachers and administrators to effectively address these areas.
The conference will bring together community agencies, preK-12 practitioners (including staff, faculty and administrators), and faculty and administrators from teacher education programs across the state to engage in interactive dialogue about ways to work together to support individual and collaborative efforts to create safe and inclusive schools for all students, staff, faculty and administrators, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or gender expression.
Organizers are encouraging input and will accept all proposals submitted by Nov. 30. Though everyone is welcome, we are particularly seeking input from community agencies, as well as preK-12 practitioners at all levels that can share the effective practices they have in place, and the effective policies they have developed and/or adopted. You can keep up with the planning progress at http://www.oakland.edu/sogi and/or follow on Twitter @OUSOGI, hashtag: #SOGICON.
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality