No sex changes for Michigan prisoners?
Bill introduced to outlaw using taxpayer dollars for sex change operations for incarcerated citizens
By Tara Cavanaugh
Originally printed 8/25/2011 (Issue 1934 - Between The Lines News)
LANSING- A Republican state representative introduced a bill yesterday called the "Moral Values Bill" that would ensure no public funds could be used to pay for sex change operations for Michigan prisoners.
Rep. Tom Hooker, D-77, told the Grand Rapids Press: "It's something that's kind of a common sense thing. I'd much rather be proactive than reactive. It's definitely something we want to prevent."
Hooker does not know of any prisoner who has requested a sex change operation. According to a press relase from his office, he introduced the bill in response to an appeal by the American Family Association, a Midland-based anti-gay group headed by Gary Glenn. Glenn recently announced he is running as a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate.
Russ Marlan, a public information officer for the Michigan Department of Corrections, said the bill came as a surprise to MDOC "because we hadn't necessarily thought of it as a problem."
Marlan said that all states are required to provide health care to prisoners under the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution. "We assess inmates' health care throughout the system and make decisions on care and what's medically necessary and what's appropriate," Marlan said.
Marlan consulted with the chief medical officer who said that MDOC would not provide sex change operations.
But, Marlan added, "if there ever was a circumstance where somebody had a medical need for such a thing, it's certainly possible and allowable under our health care contract right now."
Marlan said the chief medical officer knows of a transgender inmate who self-injected silicone into his breasts. The silicone is now leaking into his organs and blood. "There's a health risk there with what's happening to him so we're certainly going to provide treatment for that," Marlan said. The silicone will be removed from the inmate's body. The inmate asked for silicone breast implants as a replacement, but the chief medical officer said the inmate will receive a prosthesis to wear instead.
"We provide medically necessary care and we want to keep prisoners healthy," Marlan said. "It's good for them, it's good for their families ... when 95 percent of them return to society we want to have them healthy. That helps control our long-term costs as well."
Jay Kaplan, the staff attorney for the ACLU of Michigan's LGBT Project, said the bill - House Bill 4889 - doesn't only deny sex reassignment surgery in prisons but also through other public assistance programs.
"I'm not aware of people who are on public assistance who have ever gotten sexual reassignment surgery paid for by the state," Kaplan said.
"I do know in Michigan Medicaid policy the state says it will not pay for drugs related to gender identity conditions, which we think is the wrong policy too because it ignores things that are medically necessary."
Kaplan referred to two other cases that possibly stirred the AFA and Rep. Hooker to attack sex reassignment surgery. On Aug. 5 a federal appeals court upheld a ruling striking down a Wisconsin law banning publicly-funded hormone therapy for transgender prisoners. The court said that denying medical treatment amounts to torture. And an inmate in New York has sued the state, claiming it should pay for sex reassignment surgery.
- National And State LGBT Orgs Urge Caution On 2016 Ballot Initiative
- My Point of View: It's Better To Be Pissed Off Than Pissed On
- Aging: For Albert Cunningham, The Glass Is Half Full
- Groundbreaking Show With All Trans Male Cast To Be Screened In Detroit
- Tyler Oakley To Be Honored At GLAAD San Francisco
- Introducing SAGE Metro Detroit
- Lawsuit Seeks 3rd Option Besides Male, Female On US Passport
- Pastor Who Pushed For LGBT Protections Runs For City Council
- DeBoer Attorney Launches LGBT Equal Protection Ballot Measure
- High School Students Gather To Ask, 'Is Race Real?'
- Temple Israel Hosts Non-Binary Discussion
- Affirmations Launches New Leadership Development Institute For LGBT Professionals
- Siver Seeks Mayoral Office Via The High Road
- Sistrum Seeks New Artistic Director
- Transgender Michigan And Co-Founder Turn 18
- Book With Gay Character Banned From Monroe Book Fair
- Hearing Rescheduled For Love V Johnson
- EMU Launches Equality Knowledge Project 2015-2016 Speaker Series
- StoryCorps To Record LGBT Stories In West Michigan
- EMU OUTober Display Found Vandalized
- AIDS/HIV Hotlines
- CDC National Prevention Information Network
- AIDS/HIV Organizations
- Lansing Area AIDS Network
- Ruggirello, Velardo, Novara & Ver Beek, PC
- AAA Aggressive Family Law Attorney
- Birmingham Maple Clinic
- Families and Parents
- Grand Rapids Alternative Families
- Pet Day Care
- Happy Hounds Dog Day Care & Lodging
- Political Organizations
- Senior Services
- Seniors Helping Seniors
- Ann Arbor Civic Theatre
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Q&A: Selena Gomez On Gay Boyfriends, 'Loving' Those Lesbian Rumors & Nick Jonas' 'Love For Everyone'
- Houston Delivers Tough Blow, Repeals Anti-Discrimination Ordinance
- Q&A: Sara Bareilles Talks Gay 'Brothers and Sisters,' Whether Closeted Celebs Are 'Brave' & Why She Thinks Taylor Swift Stands For 'Sisterhood'
- Q&A: Kylie Minogue Talks First Christmas Album, 'Hating' the Boxes People Put Her In & Her Mistletoe Man ('You Should Love Who You Love')
- Adding White To The Rainbow: New Leadership Arrives At Equality Michigan
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!