Arts & Entertainment
Transsexual takes seat in Madrid Assembly
by Rex Wockner
Originally printed 6/16/2011 (Issue 1924 - Between The Lines News)
Actress Carla Antonelli took her seat in the Madrid Assembly June 7, becoming the highest-ranking openly trans elected official in Spanish history.
"It's very exciting to be here, to see the room and be seated on the bench," Antonelli said.
Spain's State Federation of Lesbians, Gays, Transsexuals and Bisexuals said, "(We) hope that this appointment will serve as an example and is supported by companies so they get used to transsexual reality and permit transsexual people to compete for jobs on equal terms with everyone else, without their gender identity being a factor."
Antonelli ran as a party-list candidate for the Madrid Socialist Party-Spanish Socialist Workers' Party.
- India's Top Court Recognizes Third Gender Category
- Planned Anti-gay Rally In Ethiopia Cancelled
- India Recognizes 'Third Gender'
- Uganda: Police Raid US Project That Assisted Gays
- Ugandan LGBT Advocacy Group Files Suit In US Against Lively
- Life Goes On For gays In Olympic Sochi
- Gays in Kenya Protest Against Ugandan Bill
- Ivory Coast: Mob attacks gay rights group office