Arts & Entertainment
Dutch university gives transgender man new diploma
by Rex Wockner
Originally printed 4/21/2011 (Issue 1916 - Between The Lines News)
The president of the executive board of the University of Amsterdam, Karel van der Toorn, presented transgender activist and alumnus Justus Eisfeld with a new diploma reflecting his correct gender April 6 in New York City.
Van der Toorn was in New York, where Eisfeld works for Global Action for Trans Equality, on a business trip.
Eisfeld underwent gender transition after graduation from the university.
Approval to issue the revised diploma came in November via a ruling from the Dutch Equal Treatment Commission.
The decision also applies to other Dutch transgender people.
- Participants Needed For LGBT Mental Health Study
- Uganda Invalidates Anti-Gay Law
- LGBT Activists Attacked In Toronto
- Malaysia Airlines Crash Claims Top AIDS Researchers
- First Of Its Kind: New Condom May Kill HIV And HPV
- Mayor Tries To Ban Same-Sex Kissing
- Results Show Children of LGBT Couples Doing Well In The Face Of Stigma