Arts & Entertainment
Dutch university gives transgender man new diploma
by Rex Wockner
Originally printed 4/21/2011 (Issue 1916 - Between The Lines News)
The president of the executive board of the University of Amsterdam, Karel van der Toorn, presented transgender activist and alumnus Justus Eisfeld with a new diploma reflecting his correct gender April 6 in New York City.
Van der Toorn was in New York, where Eisfeld works for Global Action for Trans Equality, on a business trip.
Eisfeld underwent gender transition after graduation from the university.
Approval to issue the revised diploma came in November via a ruling from the Dutch Equal Treatment Commission.
The decision also applies to other Dutch transgender people.
- India's Top Court Recognizes Third Gender Category
- Planned Anti-gay Rally In Ethiopia Cancelled
- India Recognizes 'Third Gender'
- Uganda: Police Raid US Project That Assisted Gays
- Ugandan LGBT Advocacy Group Files Suit In US Against Lively
- Life Goes On For gays In Olympic Sochi
- Gays in Kenya Protest Against Ugandan Bill
- Ivory Coast: Mob attacks gay rights group office