Arts & Entertainment
Dutch university gives transgender man new diploma
by Rex Wockner
Originally printed 4/21/2011 (Issue 1916 - Between The Lines News)
The president of the executive board of the University of Amsterdam, Karel van der Toorn, presented transgender activist and alumnus Justus Eisfeld with a new diploma reflecting his correct gender April 6 in New York City.
Van der Toorn was in New York, where Eisfeld works for Global Action for Trans Equality, on a business trip.
Eisfeld underwent gender transition after graduation from the university.
Approval to issue the revised diploma came in November via a ruling from the Dutch Equal Treatment Commission.
The decision also applies to other Dutch transgender people.
- Zambian men arrested over alleged homosexual acts
- UK's House of Commons approves same-sex marriage
- French president signs same-sex marriage bill into law
- Man kills himself at Notre Dame Cathedral
- Castro Daughter Leads Cuba March For Gay Rights
- New Zealand Parliament Votes 77 To 44 to Allow Same-Sex Marriage