Arts & Entertainment
Maryland Senate passes same-sex marriage bill
by Rex Wockner
Originally printed 3/3/2011 (Issue 1909 - Between The Lines News)
Maryland's Senate passed a bill to legalize same-sex marriage Feb. 24. The vote was 25-21.
"This is a historic and proud moment in Maryland's history," said lead sponsor Sen. Rob Garagiola. "I am confident that the Free State will realize full marriage equality in 2011."
The bill now goes to the House of Delegates, where the vote could be close. Gov. Martin O'Malley has vowed to sign the bill if it arrives on his desk. Maryland has a law similar to the one that was used in Maine to overturn the legislature's legalization of same-sex marriage there in 2009. If enough voter signatures are collected, a recently passed law can be subjected to a voter referendum and canceled out. The earliest that such a measure could appear on the ballot in Maryland is November 2012.
Same-sex marriage is legal in five states: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont, and also Washington, D.C.
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah