Arts & Entertainment
N.H. same-sex marriage law could be repealed
by Rex Wockner
Originally printed 12/2/2010 (Issue 1848 - Between The Lines News)
New Hampshire's law that legalized same-sex marriage could be repealed if some Republican legislators get their way.
In the November elections, Republicans took control of both houses of the Legislature and have enough seats to override vetoes by Democratic Gov. John Lynch.
Bills already have been filed to repeal the marriage-equality law and to amend the state constitution to prohibit same-sex couples from marrying.
"Republicans now have a veto-proof majority in the Legislature, and the newly elected House speaker, state Rep. Bill O'Brien, is a staunch opponent of marriage equality," said Lee Swislow, executive director of Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders. "But we know there are many New Hampshire Republicans who support marriage equality and we're looking forward to working with them."
The Legislature legalized same-sex marriage in June 2009 and the law took effect Jan. 1 of this year.
Same-sex marriage also is legal in Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, Vermont and Washington, D.C.
- California Bans 'Gay Panic' Defense
- Utah Plaintiffs Ask SCOTUS To Review Case
- First-Of-Its-Kind LGBT Jewish Curriculum
- EqualityMaine Advances Trans Healthcare Coverage
- Florida Supreme Court Asked To Rule On Same-Sex Marriage
- Womyn Born Womyn House Staffer Edits Trans Identity Wikipedia Pages
- 7th Circuit Court Of Appeals Hears Marriage Equality Cases
- When A Lesbian Becomes A Man
- TLC Star Says Transgender People Are Child Predators
- Florida Federal Judge Rules For Same-Sex Marriage
- Landmark Gay Bookstore In Philly To Reopen
- Couple Wins Wedding Venue Dispute
- Virginia Family Foundation Protests Gay Marriage With Fake Fast
- Boy Killed By Mother For Playing With Dolls
- SCOTUS Blocks Virginia Same-Sex Marriages
- Open Letter On Michael Brown #HandsUpDon'tShoot
- Will & Grace Featured In The Smithsonian Collection
- Cyber Bullying Higher For LGBT Youth
- Oregon Medicaid To Cover Gender Reassignment Surgery
- Bryan Fisher Blames Lesbian Attorney For Perry's Indictment
- Welcoming First Trans Man To U.S. House of Reps
- Facebook Donated $10k To Attorney General Appealing Marriage Equality In Utah