Arts & Entertainment
Classy fundraiser to honor Ruth Ellis Center
Originally printed 12/2/2010 (Issue 1848 - Between The Lines News)
The agency for LGBT African Americans, also known as KICK, will hold its eighth annual "Holiday in December" fundraiser and holiday celebration on Saturday, Dec. 11 from 6 to 11 p.m. Festivities will take place at the First Congregational Church in Detroit, which is located at 33 East Forest Avenue.
The annual event supports KICK's free educational seminars, wellness programs and support groups. This year, the fundraiser will honor the Ruth Ellis Center, which provides short and long term residential safe space and support for runaway, homeless and at-risk LGBTQ youth in Detroit and Southeast Michigan.
"The success of Holiday In December speaks to our community's desire to come together and celebrate our authentic selves in an environment that is classy yet inviting," said Tiffany McLean, who is on the agency's board of directors. Guests will enjoy catered food and live entertainment.
Attendees are encouraged to wear black and Tiffany blue. Tickets are $50 until Dec. 9, and $55 after that. Tickets may be purchased online at http://www.e-kick.org, or with a check or money order payable to KICK at Box 2222, Detroit, Michigan 48231.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit