Arts & Entertainment
Classy fundraiser to honor Ruth Ellis Center
Originally printed 12/2/2010 (Issue 1848 - Between The Lines News)
The agency for LGBT African Americans, also known as KICK, will hold its eighth annual "Holiday in December" fundraiser and holiday celebration on Saturday, Dec. 11 from 6 to 11 p.m. Festivities will take place at the First Congregational Church in Detroit, which is located at 33 East Forest Avenue.
The annual event supports KICK's free educational seminars, wellness programs and support groups. This year, the fundraiser will honor the Ruth Ellis Center, which provides short and long term residential safe space and support for runaway, homeless and at-risk LGBTQ youth in Detroit and Southeast Michigan.
"The success of Holiday In December speaks to our community's desire to come together and celebrate our authentic selves in an environment that is classy yet inviting," said Tiffany McLean, who is on the agency's board of directors. Guests will enjoy catered food and live entertainment.
Attendees are encouraged to wear black and Tiffany blue. Tickets are $50 until Dec. 9, and $55 after that. Tickets may be purchased online at http://www.e-kick.org, or with a check or money order payable to KICK at Box 2222, Detroit, Michigan 48231.
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Motor City Pride Line-Up Includes 'Glee' Star, Erasure's Andy Bell
- Helping Transgender Population Find Jobs
- MI AG, Lawyers Disagree Over Gay Marriage Appeal Path
- Detroit Fashion Designer DL Perrett Presents Neon Valley Streets Event
- Jim Toy Center To Honor Congressman Dingell
- Modern Works of Art for Sale This Weekend
- Hoadley To Seek LGBT Support At May 3 Detroit Fundraiser
- Inclusive Justice Conference Coming Up
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On MI Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show