Arts & Entertainment
Free screening Dustin Lance Black film
Originally printed 12/2/2010 (Issue 1848 - Between The Lines News)
Dustin Lance Black is returning to Holland. Well, his voice anyway. Black is the narrator of "8: The Mormon Proposition," which will be shown at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 3, at the Park Theatre, 64 E. 8th St. in downtown Holland. It's part of the free 2010-11 film series being presented by Holland is Ready, which was formed shortly after Hope College blocked Black from speaking at a campus discussion on sexuality.
"8: The Mormon Proposition" is an indictment of the Mormon Church's historic involvement in the promotion and passage of California's Proposition 8 and the Mormon religion's campaign against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender human rights.
Director Reed Cowan, who grew up gay in Utah in the Mormon faith, initially planned on making a documentary about gay teen homelessness and suicide in Utah but then turned his attention to the historic campaign by the Mormon Church to pass Proposition 8 in California, which outlawed gay marriage there.
Other films in the free series are "Transamerica" on Friday, Feb. 4; "Seven Passages" on Friday, March 4; and "The Bird Cage" on Friday, April 1. All films start at 7:30 p.m. at the Park Theatre.
Holland is Ready is a group of community leaders working for the safety, rights and inclusion of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons in the Lakeshore area.
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Judge Takes Up Ban On Domestic Partner Benefits
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality