Arts & Entertainment
16 Days Lansing combines arts and activism
Originally printed 12/2/2010 (Issue 1848 - Between The Lines News)
16 Days Lansing is part of 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence, an international movement created by the Center for Women's Global Leadership at Rutgers University. The 2010 theme addresses the intersection of gender violence and militarism.
Free events, ranging from poetry readings to art exhibits, will be offered in various venues around Lansing from Nov. 29 to Dec. 10.
This is the first year Lansing will take part in the event. Melissa Dey Hasbrook, one of the organizers, is excited at the variety of activist groups the event is bringing together. She and the other organizers hope it will "raise awareness and connect people with community groups."
16 Days Lansing is also organized by the RCAH Center for Poetry at Michigan State University and The Leaven Center. Co-promoters include Greater Lansing Network Against War and Injustice, Red Cedar Friends, Coalition Against Sexual Violence, Peace Education Center, Michigan Peace Team, and MSU Vagina Monologues.
For more information on events, check out the 16 Days Lansing Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/16dayslansing.
- Michigan Same Sex Couples Demand Respect And Equal Treatment
- Ultimate LGBT Wedding Expo A Smashing Success
- Couples Celebrate Love And Acceptance at LGBT Wedding and Anniversary Expo
- Graduating Gay: LGBT Spring Events at Local Universities
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit
- Dine Out For Life April 24
- 2014 Good Neighbors = Strong Community Award Recipients Announced
- LGBT Caucus Seating Available At Upcoming MDP Dinner, Bill Clinton To Keynote
- ACLU Files Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- GALLERY: The Ultimate LGBT Wedding & Anniversary Expo Runway Show
- BREAKING: ACLU To File Lawsuit: State Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
- Albion Students Demand Schuette Resign From College Board
- Equality Michigan Remembers Dr. Henry Messer, April 13
- Affirmations Celebrates 25 Years Of Service At Silver Jubilee
- Saginaw City To Vote On Ordinance
- VIDEO: Affirmations Silver Jubilee Presentation
- Suspect Sketch Released In Ypsi Anti-Gay Attack
- Prominent Detroit Minister 'Comes Out' As Ally
- 'Traditional Marriage' Not The Black Family Reality
- LETTER: One Pastor Comes Out For Marriage Equality