SPLC's Intelligence Report: Gays targeted for hate crimes far more than any other minority in U.S.
Originally printed 11/25/2010 (Issue 1847 - Between The Lines News)
MONTGOMERY, Ala. -
Homosexuals are far more likely to be victims of a violent hate crime than any other minority group in the United States, according to a new analysis of federal hate crime statistics in the latest issue of the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Report, released Nov. 22.
The SPLC's analysis of 14 years of hate crime data found that homosexuals, or those perceived to be gay, are more than twice as likely to be attacked in a violent hate crime as Jews or blacks; more than four times as likely as Muslims; and 14 times as likely as Latinos. The findings are based on FBI hate crime statistics from 1995 to 2008, the period for which there is complete data. The basic pattern also holds true in individual years.
The analysis was released to coincide with the release of the FBI's hate crime statistics for 2009.
These findings come as a wave of anti-gay attacks have washed across the country. In New York, for example, 10 suspects were arrested for brutally torturing three gay victims. And in Covington, Ky., a neighborhood was hit by a series of violent anti-gay attacks. Most dramatically, four teenagers committed suicide in September after being bullied, taunted or outed as homosexuals.
This analysis of hate crime data can be found in the Winter 2010 issue of the Intelligence Report, which also explores how the hard-core anti-gay movement in America is becoming more extreme in the face of gay rights advances. The complete issue can be read at www.splcenter.org.
"As Americans become more accepting of homosexuals, the most extreme elements of the anti-gay movement are digging in their heels and continuing to defame gays and lesbians with falsehoods that grow more incendiary by the day," said Mark Potok, editor of the Intelligence Report. "The leaders of this movement may deny it, but it seems clear that their demonization of homosexuals plays a role in fomenting the violence, hatred and bullying we're seeing."
Even after the recent string of teen suicides, which brought national attention to the issue of anti-gay bullying, leaders of these groups blamed those seeking to protect students from bullying.
Eighteen anti-gay groups are profiled in the Winter 2010 issue, which also contains an article debunking 10 key claims spread by the anti-gay movement to demonize homosexuals. These claims "ranging from the myth that homosexuals don't live nearly as long as heterosexuals to the utterly bizarre claim that gays helped orchestrate the Holocaust," are examined in detail.
Anti-gay "murder music," a style of music that features lyrics advocating the murder of homosexuals and is growing in popularity far beyond its native Jamaica, is also described. The music has sparked an effort by gay and lesbian activists in Jamaica and throughout the Western world to stop its growth.
The law enforcement edition of Intelligence Report, which is being sent to about 55,000 officers, also contains a training DVD to help officers recognize the threat when dealing with extremists from the "sovereign citizens" movement. This past May, two officers in West Memphis, Ark., were murdered when they stopped two sovereigns.
For more information, visit http://www.splcenter.org.
- Supreme Court Hears Same-Sex Marriage Cases
- Quick Guide To Supreme Court Arguments
- Guam First U.S. Territory To Allow Gay Marriage
- The 2016 Presidential Campaign Shapes Up As Exciting One for LGBT People
- Executive Order Protecting LGBT In Workplace Now In Effect
- Indiana Success Emboldens Gay Rights Advocates In U.S.
- Reuters Poll Shows RFRA Holds Minority Support
- Support For Same-Sex Marriage Rising In 50 States, Study Finds
- Candlewick Relaunches LGBT-Inclusive Modern Classic
- Depressive Symptoms Tied to LGB Identities In Early Adulthood
- The OutField: Hoosier Hullabaloo
- Duneswood Resort
- Dino's Lounge
- Triangle Chiropractic
- Coffee Shop
- Cafe Verde - People's Food Coop
- AJ Leo Electric & Solar
- Pet Supplies
- The Chase Coat For Big Dogs LLC
- Professional Organizations
- Michigan Gay Officers Action League
- Suits And The City
- Religious & Spiritual
- Plymouth Congregational Church
- Youth Services
- GIFT Refuge (Group for High School Students)
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Anti-Gay Company Has Lapsed Michigan Mechanic's License
- Q&A: Reba Talks 'Very Important' LGBT Rights, Her First Gay Wedding & Feeling 'Sad' For Closeted Country Stars
- Q&A: Scott Eastwood Endorses Father's Gay Marriage Mantra, Talks Sex Scenes ('I Was Turned On') & Mel Gibson's Advice
- Is GoFundMe The New Welfare For Anti-Gay Corporations?
- Josh Groban Q&A: His Queer Bear Fans, Failing The Ryan Gosling 'Gay Test' & Why He Worships RuPaul
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!