FBI: Hate crime incidents, victim numbers down
SPLC report shows gays most likely victim of crimes
Originally printed 11/25/2010 (Issue 1847 - Between The Lines News)
WASHINGTON (AP) -
The number of hate crime incidents and victims declined in 2009 compared to the previous year, the FBI reported Nov. 22.
In a separate study, the Southern Poverty Law Center reported that gay people are far more likely to be victims of violent hate crime than any other minority group.
Timing the release of its study to coincide with the latest FBI report on hate crimes, the nonprofit center said it based its conclusion on 14 years of FBI hate crime data covering 1995-2008. The center said that homosexuals, or those perceived to be gay, are more than twice as likely to be attacked in a violent hate crime as Jews or blacks; more than four times as likely as Muslims; and 14 times as likely as Latinos
Of more than 6,000 hate crime offenders, over six in 10 were white while nearly two in 10 were black.
Nearly half of the crime incidents in 2009 were motivated by racial bias and nearly one out of five by religious bias or sexual orientation bias.
More than half the reported hate crimes against individual people were assaults, said the FBI. One out of a hundred hate crimes involved murder or rape.
There were 6,604 hate crime incidents reported last year, down from 7,783 in 2008. There were 8,336 reported victims, down from 9,691 in 2008. The victim totals include not only individuals but also businesses, religious buildings and other institutions,
The year-to-year figures in the FBI reports for 2009 and 2008 are not exactly comparable because the number of law enforcement agencies providing data to the bureau on hate crime went up last year to more than 14,000, compared to 13,690 in 2008.
The Anti-Defamation League welcomed a substantial drop in the number of hate crimes in the latest report but expressed disappointment that more than 60 cities with over 100,000 populations each did not participate in the study.
The report said that out of some 4,000 victims of racial bias, seven in 10 were victims because of prejudice against blacks.
Out of nearly 1,600 victims of anti-religious bias, about the same proportion _ seven of 10 _ stemmed from anti-Jewish bias.FBI report: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2010/november/hate(underscore)112210 Southern Poverty Law Center: http://www.splcenter.org
- Study: Only 16 Percent Of Men Who Have Sex With Men Report Using Condoms 'Always'
- New Data Shows U.S. Benefiting From Same-Sex Marriage
- NYC Approves Ordinance On Trans Birth Certificates
- LGBT Baby Boomers Face Tough Retirement Hurdles
- In Wake Of Murder, International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers
- Financial Tips For Same-Sex Couples
- Group: Army To Recognize Transgender Vets' Names
- New Non-Discrimination Rule Implemented Federally
- Attorney: Same-Sex Marriages Should Start Soon In Miss.
- Will U.S. Supreme Court Resolve Marriage Debate?
- Mississippi Judge Overturns Same-Sex Marriage Ban
- Study Suggests Genetic Link For Male Homosexuality
- Shelter in Kansas City Won't House Gay Couples
- Gay Marriage Issue Now Linked To Ohio Senator
- Another Top Ohio Republican Speaks On Gay Marriage
- Pope Reinforces Traditional Family Values
- Election 2014: LGBT Candidates Make Some History Across U.S.
- Republican Sweep Captures Senate And Some Pro-Gay Governors
- LGBT Veterans Still Denied Equal Federal Benefits
- GLSEN Releases New National School Climate Survey On America's Middle And High Schools
- Carriagetown Antiqe Center
- Charles Alexander Studio
- Dance Company
- Wellspring/Cori Terry & Dancers
- Event Planners
- Suburban Party Rental
- Financial Services
- MassMutual Southeast Michigan
- National Organizations
- American Civil Liberties Union, Lesbian and Gay Project
- Elsie Publishing
- Religious & Spiritual
- Metropolitan Community Church of Detroit
- Arbor Pointe Veterinary Hospital
Enter contests to win great prizes like CDs, DVDs, concert tickets and more
- Exclusive! 'Looking' Star Russell Tovey On Sex Scenes, His Famous Butt & That Rimming Cake
- Q&A: Andy Cohen On His (Almost) Tell-All Book, 'Nasty' Names Gays Call Him
- Divine Intervention: Bette Midler Talks Early Gay Support, 'Diva' Degradation & Twerking ('Girls, Please!')
- ALERT Missing Person In Metro Detroit
- Creep of the Week: The Duggars
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!
A study published in the journal The Lancet HIV reports that there is a significant disparity in HIV prevalence between black and white men who have sex with men. The study was published on Nov. 18 and found a startling 32 percent prevalence rate for black men who have sex with men, compared with only eight percent for white men who have sex with men.View More World AIDS Day
This Week's Issue
Download or view this week's print issue today!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletters today!