Arts & Entertainment
Metro Parent hosts bullying workshop in Troy
Local magazine to present speaker Rosalind Wiseman on Nov. 30
Originally printed 11/25/2010 (Issue 1847 - Between The Lines News)
It's always difficult being a teenager, but it seems like today's teens face more challenges than ever before, from navigating social media to the pressures of fitting in. In response, Metro Parent Magazine will present "Growing Up in Today's Crazy World... Crushes, Frenemies, Gossip and Bullying" workshop, featuring keynote speaker Rosalind Wiseman, at 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Nov. 30 at the MET Hotel in Troy.
Rosalind Wiseman is an internationally recognized expert on children, teens, parenting, bullying, social justice, and ethical leadership. Wiseman is the author of "Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World," the groundbreaking, bestselling book that was the basis for the movie "Mean Girls."
Each year, Wiseman works with tens of thousands of students, educators, parents, counselors, coaches and administrators to create communities based on the belief that each person has a responsibility to treat themselves and others with dignity. It exposes the cultural expectations that teach young people to humiliate and dehumanize others as the way to achieve power and respect, then challenges them to transform this dynamic. The program also addresses the nuanced ways in which racism, homophobia and classism are expressed in our culture and affect social cruelty and violence.
Those in attendance will have the unique opportunity to hear from several local experts on a wide range of topics and provide strategies for dealing with the new social challenges. The morning's event begins with a three-hour workshop by Wiseman. After lunch, attendees will have their choice of eight classes held in two breakout sessions. Local representatives from educational institutions, non-profit agencies and support services will be there to talk about their programs and the help they can provide.
"Growing Up in Today's Crazy World... Crushes, Frenemies, Gossip and Bullying" featuring Rosalind Wiseman is presented by Metro Parent Publishing Group. Sponsors include Madonna University, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan, Japhet School and Radio Disney.
Tickets for the event are $75 for general admission and $100 for general admission with CEU credits. To purchase tickets, or for additional information regarding this workshop, visit http://www.metroparent.com or call 248-398-3400.
- Lesbian Couple In Kalamazoo See Home Ruined
- Fifth Annual Hotter Than July Boat Ride A Fun Time
- HTJ Opening Ceremony Draws Large Crowd
- State Rep. Zemke Introduces Bill To Prohibit Conversion Therapy In Michigan
- Good News For LGBT Students At Michigan Universities
- HTJ Pride Picnic Preview
- HTJ Schedule: Warming Up Detroit
- Progressive Detroit Talks On The National Level: Netroots Closeup
- LGBTs Connect At Netroots Nation
- Michigan Healthcare Providers Discuss LGBT Focus Initiatives
- Mark Schauer Comes To Braun Court
- Hotter Than July Preview
- Immigration: Out Of The Shadows
- Choice: Closely Aligned
- Environment: Only Way To Win Is By Working Together
- Housing: 'We Are All In This Together'
- Labor: A Decades Long Partnership
- Two More Openly LGBT Candidates Announce MI Campaigns