Arts & Entertainment
Metro Parent hosts bullying workshop in Troy
Local magazine to present speaker Rosalind Wiseman on Nov. 30
Originally printed 11/25/2010 (Issue 1847 - Between The Lines News)
It's always difficult being a teenager, but it seems like today's teens face more challenges than ever before, from navigating social media to the pressures of fitting in. In response, Metro Parent Magazine will present "Growing Up in Today's Crazy World... Crushes, Frenemies, Gossip and Bullying" workshop, featuring keynote speaker Rosalind Wiseman, at 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Nov. 30 at the MET Hotel in Troy.
Rosalind Wiseman is an internationally recognized expert on children, teens, parenting, bullying, social justice, and ethical leadership. Wiseman is the author of "Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World," the groundbreaking, bestselling book that was the basis for the movie "Mean Girls."
Each year, Wiseman works with tens of thousands of students, educators, parents, counselors, coaches and administrators to create communities based on the belief that each person has a responsibility to treat themselves and others with dignity. It exposes the cultural expectations that teach young people to humiliate and dehumanize others as the way to achieve power and respect, then challenges them to transform this dynamic. The program also addresses the nuanced ways in which racism, homophobia and classism are expressed in our culture and affect social cruelty and violence.
Those in attendance will have the unique opportunity to hear from several local experts on a wide range of topics and provide strategies for dealing with the new social challenges. The morning's event begins with a three-hour workshop by Wiseman. After lunch, attendees will have their choice of eight classes held in two breakout sessions. Local representatives from educational institutions, non-profit agencies and support services will be there to talk about their programs and the help they can provide.
"Growing Up in Today's Crazy World... Crushes, Frenemies, Gossip and Bullying" featuring Rosalind Wiseman is presented by Metro Parent Publishing Group. Sponsors include Madonna University, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan, Japhet School and Radio Disney.
Tickets for the event are $75 for general admission and $100 for general admission with CEU credits. To purchase tickets, or for additional information regarding this workshop, visit http://www.metroparent.com or call 248-398-3400.
- Marriage Supporters, Protestors Brave Cold At Courthouse
- Brown Says Schuette Instructed Clerks To Defy Court
- Peers Distance Themselves As Regnerus Takes The Stand
- Federal Marriage Case Decisions Outside Michigan In Circuit Court of Appeals
- Detroit Police Announce LGBT Liaison
- Obamacare Education And Enrollment Event
- Upcoming Holocaust Center Program To Look At Worldwide LGBT Rights
- Michigan Marriage Equality Trial Begins Second Week
- Gala Celebrates Progress, Mourns Founder
- Emotional Outpouring For Marriage At Equality Cabaret
- Wayne County Adds LGBT Protections
- PUGH UPDATE: Civil Suit Coming, Seeks $1 Million In Damages
- Between Ourselves: Meet Affirmations Development Director Angela Gabridge
- LGBTQ and Allies to Peacefully Protest Catholic Conference
- ACCESS Opens Healthcare Enrollment Assistance To Public
- MSU 2014 LGBT Scholarship Applications Available
- Charles Pugh: An In-Depth Look At The Rise And Fall Of A Local LGBT Hero
- Affirmations Receives $800,000 Bequest
- Equality-Supporting County Clerks Among Catalyst Award Winners
- Gay-Owned Espresso & Gelato Shop Finds Niche in Detroit